We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel advice: Shangri La Barr Al Jissah & Spa vs Kempinski

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Hotel advice: Shangri La Barr Al Jissah & Spa vs Kempinski

I am planning to go to Oman in December with a 14 month old - I was wondering which of the above hotels (or others) might be best suited for us/pros and cons of each. I would like a beach resort but also be able to go out and explore muscat, places close by would be a big plus.

The Shangri la looks family friendly but the rooms seem very outdated ?

Many thanks

2 replies to this topic
Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel advice: Shangri La Barr Al Jissah & Spa vs Kempinski

The Shangri-la is a lovely hotel but is a good 40 minute transfer from the airport. The Kempinski is a fairly new hotel and is about a 10 minute transfer. The Shangri-la is pretty isolated and there is nothing nearby. The Kempinski is at Al Mouj, a large residential development with a lovely safe beach, and there is a Marina which has many cafes/restaurants around its edge. There is also a small retail mall with a pharmacy, a doctors surgery, a supermarket and a children’s play area, Magic Planet, and further cafes among others. All of these are no more than a ten minute walk from the hotel.

Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel advice: Shangri La Barr Al Jissah & Spa vs Kempinski

If you need hotel near City Center and Attractions so kempinski is good choice.

Also you can see (Grand Hyatt)

Reply to: Hotel advice: Shangri La Barr Al Jissah & Spa vs Kempinski
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted