We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One last question before I arrive ..

Toronto, Ontario...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One last question before I arrive ..

Best local beer? And best place to me locals to talk and learn about the culture?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One last question before I arrive ..

Beer, in this order (all good):

Goldstar

Taybeh (Palestinian)

Maccabee

I leave it to others on meeting places.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One last question before I arrive ..

What do you mean "learn about the culture"?? There are many subcultures here in Israel.

Jerusalem, Israel
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One last question before I arrive ..

the best local Beer is "shapiro beer"

http://shapirobeer.co.il/home.html

and

Abir Beer

http://www.abirbar.co.il/

I find the "best place to me locals to talk and learn about the culture"

is the Machne Yehoda Market in Jerusalem

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,641 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One last question before I arrive ..

Locals hardly drink Maccabee. The most common local beer we Israelis drink is Goldstar. And it's good. Give it a try. :-)

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,047 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One last question before I arrive ..

See this detailed thread on beer in Israel. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293984-i3332-k550…

Try some of the new beers like malca, bazelet and negev. Meeting places - Mike's Place, Doar (a new pub on Ibn Gvirol), Hashoftim on Hashoftim street and Ibn Gvirol. The last 2 are away from the "tourist strip" on the beach.

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
512 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One last question before I arrive ..

Goldstar and Maccabi are the most common local beers. You can find them almost in any pub, club and supermarket.

Toronto, Ontario...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: One last question before I arrive ..

apparently there is an amazing mix of cultures and everyone is happy and get along in an awesome atmosphere...can't wait to see if first hand and experience it.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One last question before I arrive ..

Oy. I felt like there was something of a derth of good beer when in Israel, but then I come from a craft beer mecca and live with a brewer. Goldstar is decent on draft. It's fine in a bottle, but not what I would call good. If you want to sit and drink a beer, Goldstar is a good one to go for. If you want amazing beer, that's not it.

Also maybe worth trying, a beer called Nesher. It's a malt beer, very sweet. I think you love it or hate it, but it's different.

9. Re: One last question before I arrive ..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 10:17