We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tel-O-Fun - Any advice?

Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Tel-O-Fun - Any advice?

My wife and I will visit in May. We have a few days in Tel Aviv before our tour begins. I used the bike sharing program in Washington DC two years ago. It saved a lot of walking but there were issues including unavailable bikes at some locations, no space to dock returning bikes and problems with docking. Will we have similar problems when we rent in Tel Aviv? We are planning to use the bikes at least once and as many as three days. The first night (Thursday) we may walk from our hotel near Frishman Beach to Tel Aviv Port. If we use the bike will it be safe to ride back at night? Friday is the day we will use the bikes extensively. We'll go to Jaffa, Neve Tzedek and the Carmel Market. Saturday, I believe there isn't any bus service so we are thinking of using a bike to get to the Museum of Art and to the Carmel Market. Any tips and advice would be appreciated. Our hotel offers bikes but only during the day and there is a three hour limit

3 replies to this topic
Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,951 posts
322 reviews
1. Re: Tel-O-Fun - Any advice?

Tel-o-Fun is, reliable but just like anywhere, if there is demand there may not be any bikes exactly when you need them or a place to dock them when you want to. This being said Friday is the weekend so very few people will be using the bikes early in the day. Regarding all your stops, there are not docking stations at each of the places you want to visit although there may be closed by, keep this in mind. Carmel Market will be virtually impossible to go through with a bicycle.

If there are no bicycles or you need to dock yours at a greater distance, it is always possible to take a taxi when the buses aren't running.

Chana

Israel

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
390 posts
164 reviews
2. Re: Tel-O-Fun - Any advice?

It's perfectly safe to ride at night, especially as from the port to Frishman Beach, you can ride along the promenade and avoid traffic entirely.

The distances you mention (such as Frishman Beach to the Museum) are not great and are walkable - easy 30 minutes TOPS. For Jaffa you need a bike or- walk along the promenade in an hour. Or take the #10 bus.

Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Tel-O-Fun - Any advice?

Thanks to both of you for your help. There is so much to see and we have so little time. The greatest feature of the bike sharing program is that we can use the bikes to cover distances quickly. We can dock the bikes and walk to the shops, museums and restaurants.

I didn't think there was one but I found an app for the Tel Aviv bike sharing program. Like the D.C. application, it provides a map of the docking stations and lets us know the number of bikes on hand and exactly how many empty docks are available . That, and your advice, should help us get around so we will be able to see everything on our list.

Thanks again

Reply to: Tel-O-Fun - Any advice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted