We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday in Jerusalem...What to do?

Piermont, New York
Level Contributor
98 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday in Jerusalem...What to do?

We have a free day from our tour on a Saturday and we are looking for things to do in Jerusalem. We are non-religeous so would love to hear some ideas. Hikes, Museums sites etc..

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday in Jerusalem...What to do?

The Israel Museum and the Tower of David Museum are both open (check their websites for exact times).

If you download the MP3 self-tours from the Jerusalem municipality website, you can do any of those tours on your own on Saturday.The municipality also has free 3-hour walking tours leaving, and Zion Walking Tours have paid (quite cheap) walking tours on Saturdays.

Of course, the non-Jewish parts of the Old City will all be open, and in the Jewish quarter, the Western Wall is always open.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,428 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday in Jerusalem...What to do?

You can take the ramparts walk, visit the time elevator, walk through the Arab market to haggle, walk through Mishkanot Sheannim area as well as other old neighborhoods (many have signs of explanaition), walk up the YMCA bell tower, have lunch in an authentic Viennese cafe in the old city with fabulous view. I'm assuming you are on a guided tour with a free day. Most tours do not hour these spots.

Chana

Israel

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday in Jerusalem...What to do?

Where in the old city is the authentic Viennese cafe?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,093 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday in Jerusalem...What to do?

Authentic Viennese cafe here:

austrianhospice.com/experience-jerusalem.htm

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saturday in Jerusalem...What to do?

Thanks. Do you know if you can view the city from the roof if you are not staying or eating there?

Piermont, New York
Level Contributor
98 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saturday in Jerusalem...What to do?

Is the nite show at the tower of David Museum worth going to?

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saturday in Jerusalem...What to do?

I think so. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saturday in Jerusalem...What to do?

Joanne H- yes you can veiw the city from the roof even if you are not staying there. The doors are locked so you have to ring the bell to be buzzed in. It is worth seeing the beautiful chapel they have on site as well as the lovely garden. Spotlessly clean bathrooms, the best, by far, in the entire area.

joeyrm7- regarding the sound and light show at the Tower of David, of course this is a subjective question but I have been a few times (taking people) and have taken groups. I really enjoy it. There is no talking, it is an artists representation of the history of Jerusalem set to music. The setting is amazing, the technology is great and the artist impression is absolutely beautiful in my opinion. If you are not solid on the historical periods, you have a brochure in your hand which outlines the different periods. Almost everyone I have been with also really enjoyed it.

England, United...
Level Contributor
465 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saturday in Jerusalem...What to do?

OP - Have you considered a 'day-trip' to Bethlehem?

10. Re: Saturday in Jerusalem...What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 April 2012, 21:12