We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveler in Jerusalem

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Solo traveler in Jerusalem

Morning all,

I'm travelling to Jerusalem in Mid-July by myself to explore some great culture. Just wondering what to expect with a lot of things?

I've heard getting a bus from Tel-Aviv airport to Jerusalem is the cheapest option and runs every hour. Any experiences with this? Also, nightlife? Would you say it is safe to go out at around 2am on a quick walk? I'll be staying in the Hebron hostel which I believe is right in the middle of the old town. I just really don't know what to expect and I want to hear some stories! Also, I'm really into my photography and I have heard that Jerusalem is very photogenic.

Thanks all,

Toby

5 replies to this topic
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
19,623 posts
116 reviews
1. Re: Solo traveler in Jerusalem

The bus is the cheapest and easiest way to get from the airport to Jerusalem. It runs 24 hours a day, but like most public transport in Israel it does not run from sundown on Friday until after sunset Saturday night.

You will need to take the tram from where the bus lets you off to get to the Old City - there is no vehicular access to the Hebron Hostel.

Yes, it is safe to walk around most areas even at 2 am - however, you may not feel comfortable doing that from your hostel - as you noted it is in the middle of the Old City. The Old City of Jerusalem is not at all like the Old CIties in Europe, for eample - it is not an entertainment hub, not where everyone goes at night, no restaurants, etc. tt is dark, poorly lit, narrow alleys with virtually no one out and about - which does not make it unsafe but does make it a bit of an uncomfortable feeling.

Bagshot, United...
1 post
2. Re: Solo traveler in Jerusalem

Have a look at http://kporiginal.wordpress.com - i’m In Jerusalem at present staying near Jaffa Gate and finding it very easy to get around. No 2am experiences to report though!!

The bus from the airport goes from the second floor. I think it was no. 758 and it takes you to the central bus station. You then need another bus or light rail to get to one of the City gates near your hostel. I think the bus was 16 shekels and took less than a hour.

Enjoy your trip. This is an amazing city!

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
3. Re: Solo traveler in Jerusalem

Take the Nesher, a share taxi from the airport to Jerusalem. It costs about 65. US. Use good judgement. As a woman walking anywhere at 2:00 am is not a good thing. I have gone twice as a solo tourist and have never had any problems. Most are very helpful.

Towson, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Solo traveler in Jerusalem

Can you clarify if you are arriving at 2am from abroad or if you are just interested in taking a late night stroll through the Old City? The way I read your post, it sounds like you are just wondering if it would be safe to go out that late.

Also, it's important to remember that most parts of the old city are not accessible by car so even if you take the sherut you would still be walking to your hotel.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
106 reviews
5. Re: Solo traveler in Jerusalem

The shared taxi ( 10 passengers) is 64 shekels , not US.

I have recently just come back from Jerusalem as a solo traveller, and felt completely safe at all times of the day and night. You will feel the same too i am sure.

If your hostel is in the middle of the old city, then it will seem very deserted at night, and poorly lit. However, I am sure the hostel will give you all the advice about shortcuts etc etc .

You will love Jerusalem, and as a photographer, you will be spoilt for choice!

Reply to: Solo traveler in Jerusalem
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted