We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruising and staying in port overnight

isles of scilly
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
cruising and staying in port overnight

can anyone give us some inside info on what to expect, currency, bars & prices what to see and do which won't mean travelling all day?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruising and staying in port overnight

Not sure what you are referring to. Do you mean that you will arrive at the port of Ashdod on a cruise ship and will depart the following day from the port of Haifa? Or the other way around?

Here's my suggestion for a Jerusalem shore excursion: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i27333-Shore_ex…

And here's my suggestion for a Galilee excursion: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i27335-Shore_ex…

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,059 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruising and staying in port overnight

Because you posted on the Haifa forum I assume you'll dock in Haifa. There are many restaurants, pubs, museums etc.. . Prices are sililar to UK or France. You can get shekels from ATMs so that you have money for taxis, bottled water or a snack. Most retaurants acceprt credit cards. You could tour the Bahahi Gardens. For more details what to see and do in Haifa see http://www.tour-haifa.co.il/eng

You could also visit Akko that is about 30 minutes by train from the station near the port.

Edited: 24 February 2012, 02:35
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,290 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruising and staying in port overnight

If you are staying in Haifa and prefer not to travel too far you can visit the Bahai Gardens, walk in the German Colony, visit the Stella Maris monestary and the Naval Museum all in Haifa. For a bit more distant location take the train to Akko - the station is right next to the port.

Chana

Israel

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cruising and staying in port overnight

If you mean where to go to in Haifa in the evening, its quite easy from the port to walk or take a short taxi ride to the so called "German Colony" .Its the road that leads from one part of the port up to the lower Bahai Gardens entrance. Its full of bars, restaurants and cafes. Prices are similar to prices in Europe.

If you prefer not to travel on the one day you need to give more information as to what would you like to do.

isles of scilly
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cruising and staying in port overnight

thanks you for your info. You say you can get Shekels from the ATM, not sure how many to get as not sure what the uk £ will buy in Haifa. But I presume you need Shekels to get to the ATM machine? Also, how safe is it to wander around?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,632 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cruising and staying in port overnight

It's safe to wander around in Haifa. To get the conversion rate, see www.xe.com.

Douglas Duckett

isles of scilly
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cruising and staying in port overnight

is it safe to travel around as tourists?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,981 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cruising and staying in port overnight

It is very safe to travel as tourists. There are thousands of tourists currently in Israel. I can assure you tht the international press would immediately report if any tourist had a problem as they seem to search very hard for negative information about Israel!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,059 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cruising and staying in port overnight

Prices in Israel are similar to those in the UK. One British Pound is about 6 shekels. If all you need is taxis, snacks and drinks change some money on the ship.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,290 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cruising and staying in port overnight

You must take out shekels as most vendord will not tske sterling notes. There are ATM machines everywhere and if I remember correctly also at the arrivals hall in Haifa.

Regarding safety, Israel was recently mentioned as one of the top ten most safest countries in the world. The crime rate is much lower than most western countries and tourists are never singled out like in some other countries in the area.

Chana

Israel