We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe for a woman travelling alone?

w62
London
Level Contributor
994 posts
210 reviews
safe for a woman travelling alone?

A friend of mine is considering a holiday to Eilat in November but has been a little put off by FCO advice. Is it safe ? And presumably she will have to fly to tel aviv and get a transfer to Eilat? Grateful for any advice you can offer?

25 replies to this topic
Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,377 posts
323 reviews
1. Re: safe for a woman travelling alone?

Yes Israel is safe and Eilat is no different. Hard to understand what warnings she has seen. In general Israel has a lower crime rate than most places in the world and a single woman is less likely to run into any issues than anywhere in the world. Of course using common sense is important, but there is nothing unusual to worry about.

Chana

Israel

w62
London
Level Contributor
994 posts
210 reviews
2. Re: safe for a woman travelling alone?

thank you! I think she’s just looked at the general advice about Israel. As far as i can see travelers from the UK need to fly to tel aviv - how far is it to Eilat from there? sorry to bombard with questions.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: safe for a woman travelling alone?

It is a 50 min flight from Ben Gurion airport to Eilat. Look at the Arkia and Israir websites for fares and schedules. Alternatively, it is a 5 hr bus ride to Eilat from either Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem (both of which should be visited).

w62
London
Level Contributor
994 posts
210 reviews
4. Re: safe for a woman travelling alone?

great - many thanks !

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,154 posts
5. Re: safe for a woman travelling alone?

There are indeed buses from Tel Aviv to Eilat, but they leave from the *city* of Tel Aviv, not from the airport. Apart from flights, there is no direct transport from Ben-Gurion Airport to Eilat.

Another option is low-cost flights from the UK to Ovda airport, which is 60 km from Eilat. There are buses from Ovda to Eilat. And on that topic, *avoid* an outfit called Flo Shuttle, which gets terrible reviews here. If your friend chooses to fly to Ovda, she can book a seat on Egged bus 282, which is timed to meet all flights. Egged is one of Israel's biggest bus companies which has been going for more than 70 years and is reliable.

Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Eilat
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: safe for a woman travelling alone?

From October Wizz Air will fly twice a week from Luton to Ovda,60 Klm's from Eilat, and when the new airport will open to there, 18 Klm's. This is a low cost flight so you need to book accommodation seperatly.

Eilat is Safe and fun to walk around

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
7. Re: safe for a woman travelling alone?

Go snorkeling at or near Migdal Or beach during the day, and eat dinner and walk around the Tayelet at night.

w62
London
Level Contributor
994 posts
210 reviews
8. Re: safe for a woman travelling alone?

thanks for the responses. I think she may be a bit put off by the transfer arrangements. Which is a shame. I don’t think luton is an option as she lives south of the river but i will let her know about Ovda.

Many thanks !

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,154 posts
9. Re: safe for a woman travelling alone?

Where south of the river? (Ex-Londoner here so I know what you mean...) There are direct trains to Luton Airport Parkway from some stations in south London:

https:/…travelling-from-london-or-the-south

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
173 reviews
10. Re: safe for a woman travelling alone?

Does she particularly want to go to Eilat? Tel Aviv has great beaches and a buzzing city combined. No coral reefs admittedly.

My 18 year old daughter just spent six months in the country and found it very amenable for travelling around by herself.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 22:49
Reply to: safe for a woman travelling alone?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted