We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israel National Trail

South Africa
Level Contributor
465 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Israel National Trail

I am looking for books (panorama, biography, autobiography) about the Israel Trail. I have read Maoz Inon's journal on the Fauzi Azar Inn website, and also read "Walk the Land" by Judith Galblum Pax.

My husband and I are fascinated with the Trail - we'd never be able to do it ourselves (although you never know!), but we'd like to read as much as possible about it.

Any recommendations would be great!

~ Jen ~

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,623 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Israel National Trail

The Israel National trail are signposted trail for walking and hiking. Recently several trails for bicycles. There are maps of those trails and cover the whole country. see http://www.sahr.com/israeltrail/

and …about.com/od/… and an article on the subject query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html…

Hope this helps.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,428 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Israel National Trail

Even if you don't hike the whole trail, it's easy to do sections of it - I walked a bit of it outside Mevasseret a few weeks ago.

Avigail

Nazareth
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Israel National Trail

Hi Jen,

There is a new website for the trail - www.israelnationaltrail.com.

In early 2008 an English Guide book is going to be published

There are more and more places that cater for the hikers now days and i don't see a reason why you can't to it

You are welcome to email me directly if you need any more specific details

Hope you enjoyed my blog...

Love & Peace

Maoz

South Africa
Level Contributor
465 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israel National Trail

Thanks Maoz,

The website looks great and I'll be spending more time going through it soon. I definitely enjoyed your blog. You probably won't recognise my name but we will be seeing you on May 1st in Nazareth and would love to chat more then.

~ Jen ~

South Africa

louguy231
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Israel National Trail

I just found out about this trail and like it so far. I have just walked the Santiago De Compostela(Portugese Route). I would like to know if this is set up similar. I am really not wanting to take a tent and 5 days worth of food. I like being able to move from one city to the next in a days walk. I averaged about 15 miles a day on the santiago trail and Israel is not that big so 15 miles is a distance there. If anyone had info on this please let me know.

Thanks,

Shawn

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,623 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Israel National Trail

You don't need a tent or to take food with you. As you said Israel is so small you will get to a hotel/B&B/hostel on the way, same with food, either cafe, restaurant or a minimarket. If you like tell us where you are going and we'll give you a list of places to stay and eat on the way.

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
692 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Israel National Trail

I don't know the northern part of the trail but I do know the southern parts and spend alot of time servicing the hikers as they cross the area near to where I live. For the most part the southern parts require that you carry 2-3 days of supplies between towns and villages or arrange for someone to ferry you to and from the trail heads morning and evening. The main problem is carrying enough water as one needs 4-6 liters of drinking water a day and carrying enough water for more than a day at a time is tough. Some hikers organize water drops.

There are several people in the region who provide re-supply services along the route and if you get into trouble the local Search and Rescue teams will be able to help. Most of the trail has cell phone coverage.

Adam

8. Re: Israel National Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 01:49