We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How strenuous are ein gedi hike and trip to Masada ?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
75 posts
88 reviews
How strenuous are ein gedi hike and trip to Masada ?

60 year old man with nothing wrong but not in shape, considering going on a day trip to Masada and Ein Gedi with a tour group.

I walk on a regular basis and go up a flight or two of steps with no issues.

I realize it’s very hot and that’s not an issue but wondering how strenuous the typical day trip hike is in ein gedi and how much climbing/up/down is typical in Masada (I would be going up and down via cable car, but on top of Masada itself, is there much climbing?

I really want to go and don’t want to sell myself short, but also dont want to do something dumb.

Any pointers are much appreciated

7 replies to this topic
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
19,623 posts
116 reviews
1. Re: How strenuous are ein gedi hike and trip to Masada ?

Once you get to the top of Masada via the cable car the most you will have to deal with are a few sets of stairs, no more than a flight at a time (usually less) and if the others go down to the northern palace just skip it - they will have to come back to the same point (and it is about 197 stairs down and the same number back up).

The short David Stream hike at Ein Gedi is not that strenuous but will probably be more than you are used to - make sure you have a hat, comfortable footwear and plenty of shoes -- there are plenty of stairs with handholds.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,933 posts
157 reviews
2. Re: How strenuous are ein gedi hike and trip to Masada ?

Almost zero tour groups hike up Masada. Nearly all use the cable car. And, thus, the walking on Masada is not difficult - in fact it's less strenuous than touring the Old City of Jerusalem.

As for the Ein Gedi hike, the walk to the first waterfall is simple and easy for anybody. If you wish to continue to David's Waterfall, the hike is more difficult and about 1.5 hours in total for the entire loop.

Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,156 posts
322 reviews
3. Re: How strenuous are ein gedi hike and trip to Masada ?

Not in shape is relative. Some find it a little difficult walking around Masada, but it's pretty easy. The 45 minute hike in Ein Gedi can take your breath away when walking up the uneven steps and looking at the view from above, but there are not so many places with steps. Most tours do this hike, but you can always opt out if necessary.

Chana

Israel

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
7,378 posts
116 reviews
4. Re: How strenuous are ein gedi hike and trip to Masada ?

I’m slightly older than you and have walking issues (I use a cane and live with chronic back pain which gets severe at times). I’ve been to Ein Gedi and Masada on tour groups. I don’t think you will have a problem. At Masada you go up on the chair lift and once at the top it’s straightforward. On one of the tours I did we were given the option of climbing down rather than taking the cable car back. (I didn’t do that but about a third of the group did..). At Ein Gedi it’s a climb up a hillside track (very pretty) but you come down on the same route that you go up. So in the groups I’ve been with we were given approx. an hour to go as far up as we wanted with the proviso that we all met back at the bus at a given time. I made it to the lower waterfall and a bit further. Others made it to David’s waterfall and back. I opted out on one tour due to bad back issues at the time.

Given your fitness level I doubt you will have any issues doing either. Just make sure you have a bottle of water with you. :)

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
584 posts
1 review
5. Re: How strenuous are ein gedi hike and trip to Masada ?

Because of predicted flash flooding one day late in April of this year, the path to the second waterfall, David's, was closed -- and the flooding occurred as expected -- but as someone just said, the path is set up as a loop. It''s rated in difficulty as 2 out of 4, and it''s shown on the map in the brochure they give you at the park as a one-way trail, but If someone gets really too tired or something before he reaches the second falls, can he nonetheless turn around, and then everything after that will be downhill?? https:/…brochureEn-13.pdf

New Jersey
Level Contributor
75 posts
88 reviews
6. Re: How strenuous are ein gedi hike and trip to Masada ?

A big thank you to all who responded.

I did in fact to go Masada and Ein Gedi last week, and your comments were spot on - Masada had virtually no steps, it was just a bit hot. Ein Gedi was not nearly as strenuous as I feared - there was some climbing on steps/rocks, but nothing all that hard, and plenty of opportunities to cool off in the waterfalls.

Thanks again for all your help.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
41,102 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: How strenuous are ein gedi hike and trip to Masada ?

Glad you went and enjoyed.

Reply to: How strenuous are ein gedi hike and trip to Masada ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted