We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM card while in Israel

2 posts
SIM card while in Israel

Hello! I've seen several posts about getting an Israeli SIM card and most people recommend Snapir. I am having difficulty with their website to get in touch with someone from the company as whatever button I click on, the screen goes blank? My question is, do I need to get a family plan or can my kids just use my phone as a "hotspot"? I don't think they'll need to make any phone calls. Does anyone have contact details for this company?

Thank you!

14 replies to this topic
Towson, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: SIM card while in Israel

Your kids can use your phone as a hotspot if you enable hotspot on your phone and they are near you. If you are separated more than 100ft or so, they will not be able to use your phone as a hotspot. Do note that they will be using your data; and that the hotspot feature consumes battery life.

I'm not sure why the website isn't working for you, I just checked it in Google Chrome and it works.

Try Service@syc.co.il

2 posts
2. Re: SIM card while in Israel

Thank you. I'll try to get in touch with them. Not sure why I can't access all the pages either :(

London
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
143 reviews
3. Re: SIM card while in Israel

I still email him at : snapir@syc.co.il

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
230 reviews
4. Re: SIM card while in Israel

E-mail him. His and his staff's responsiveness is legendary.

Douglas Duckett

MILWAUKEE
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: SIM card while in Israel

Hi Roger, I can't tell where you live, but I was going to suggest that you check your own cell provider's international plan. I was surprised to find that my own provider (Sprint in the US) essentially has free international roaming. So, no fuss with SIM cards was needed.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,837 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: SIM card while in Israel

Louis, correct me if I am wrong, but international roaming is great if you are making calls. It is problematic if anyone in Israel wants to call YOU!--for them it is an international call.

MILWAUKEE
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: SIM card while in Israel

Hi RDG, This is a good question! We did receive a couple calls while we were in Israel, but of course I don't know how much it cost them to call us. The calls to us were from hotels (so I'm not too concerned about how much it cost them to call us :) ) To talk with people we knew, we just used whatsapp. But you are right, I don't know the answer to this.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
560 posts
1 review
8. Re: SIM card while in Israel

Without my getting into the discussion you've already had, you can also use Skype on the PC and on the cell phone. There is now a Skype option, only have to do it once on the PC at least, to put your phone number USA or Israel, whichever you have, so it shows in the caller-ID of the party you've called. Plus for something like $10 or 15/3 months you can have a USA phone number and people can call you on it as if it were a local number in the USA. There are also, for the PC, answering machine add-ons but I think the new one by Skype itself I haven't used. There is also prepaidisraelisim.com. It's all rather amazing how easy and cheap it is to call in either direction. (Of course the price for cheap phone calls is all the spam phone calls I get here in the USA, from countries where American law doesn't reach.)

Towson, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
63 reviews
9. Re: SIM card while in Israel

There are some plans who offer international data at no additional cost; however, those plans often limit the speed of the data, often to 2G speeds. It is important to understand the limitations and the impact they can have, esp if you are a heavy data user.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
560 posts
1 review
10. Re: SIM card while in Israel

In 2017 it turned out I only had 2G and data things tended to not work at all. For example, one can use Google Translate to take a picture of a sign in Hebrew and it will very often be able to translate it to English, but 2 or 3 times it just gave up because the connection was so slow it thought there was no connection. Once it did translate half of the sign.

I'm glad you remind me of this because I don't know how this affects what I just said about the use of Skype, which uses data, but iiuc not much of it because it's only voice at the same low speed you are talking (compared to trying to send a photo). The first year I used Skype only on the PC with wifi, and the second year I had loads of 3G and maybe 4G data, so neither year was an adequate test.

Reply to: SIM card while in Israel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted