We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latrun

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Latrun

Does one need to book an English tour in advance? Is it included with the price of admission?

12 replies to this topic
Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,726 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Latrun

Yes an English tour must be booked in advance, yes cost in included in entrance fee.

Chana

Israel

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Latrun

Thanks.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
560 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Latrun

If you get there early, you can probably spend an hour just looking at the many armored vehicles they have and reading the descriptions, in Hebrew and English. I like the motorized portable bridge especially.

If you can, watch Cast a Giant Shadow before you get there. A major scene in the movie is the battle for Latrun. Another scene is the Burma Road which is only a mile away. The movie is dramatized, not a documentary, but most of it is correct. (I don't think the very recent immigrants came straight from the ships to the front. I think I read they had 2 days training) (Ignore the boy and girl part. Every movie has to have that, my grandmother said so.) When I tried to drive up the Burma Road 11 years ago, there were big rocks 3 feet tall blocking my way 80% of the way up. Instead of making a 3-point turn to turn around, I made a 15-point turn because I didn't want to fall off the cliff. For some reason I went again this year and the rocks were gone and I could drive all the way to the top, to near Beit Meir. In a car you can only go about 10mph. (Oh, this low-quality road may be a violation of the rental agreement. I don't know and I really hadn't thought of that before.)

Edited: 07 June 2018, 08:49
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Latrun

Thanks. Looks like the Latrun website is all Hebrew, so hard to get info from it

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Latrun

We visited and didn't do the tour, and we still really enjoyed the museum. My husband is a US Army veteran, so when he saw this museum, he said he had to go there! Most of the vehicles had placards on them that explained what they were.

North Woodmere, New...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Latrun

how do we get in touch with someone at latrun to arrange an english tour?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Latrun

I assume you have to call number on the website.What I'm unclear about is what to put in Waze/Google maps- Latrun or Latrun interchange. They both come up.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Latrun

I don't use Waze (don't drive), but presumably what you would put in is Latrun Armored Corps Museum or words to that effect. (There are also monasteries at Latrun.)

But unsurprisingly, the museum is very near the Latrun interchange, which is roads 1 and 3. If you're coming on road 1 from either Tel Aviv or Jerusalem, you leave road 1 at the Latrun interchange and follow the signs.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
19,312 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Latrun

The best address to put in Waze or Google Maps is Yad La-Shiryon

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Latrun

... which means Armored Corps Museum, for anyone wondering!

Reply to: Latrun
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted