We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israel - Electricity Converter Needed?

minneapolis
1 post
Save Topic
Israel - Electricity Converter Needed?

We are leaving (from the US) in a few days for Israel. What will we need to be able to recharge our ipods and use our hair dryer? I am cofused about converters and transformers.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,781 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Israel - Electricity Converter Needed?

You will need both a transformer to step the 220 current down to 120, and an adaptor to fit the plug into the three-prong plug that is pretty much unique to Israel. If you can't find one in Minneapolis (and make sure the adaptor plug is for Israel), you can buy one on arrival.

Have a great trip!

Douglas Duckett

Northern California
Level Contributor
69 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Israel - Electricity Converter Needed?

Upon further reading I found that the difference in current doesn’t stop with the voltage (110V vs. 220V). The “Hertz” is different too. Hertz (Hz) are the cycles per second that the current runs. In the US the current runs at 60Hz, but in Israel it runs at 50Hz. Anything working with a motor (clocks, tape machines, fans,…etc) will run 18% slower. A transformer does not change the Hertz, only the voltage. This means that using most of these appliances with a transformer will cause the appliance to heat up more and shorten its life span.

The electrical plug is unique to Israel. It is much like a grounded 3 prong American plug but the two flat prongs form a V-shape rather than being parallel like American plugs ( \ / instead of I l )

There is some good news.

First, many of the wall sockets are specially made to accommodate the European rounded two-pronged plugs as well. The slots for the non-grounded prongs have widenings in the middle specifically to allow the round European prongs to fit in. This means that if you have and existing travel adapter you can use the European/Middle East prongs "in many places". Can anyone comment from experience on this method?

Second, most laptop computers and portable peripheral devices use an external power supply that plugs into an AC electrical outlet and supplies DC power to the device. It is rare nowadays to find a computer that cannot run on both 50 and 60 Hz. Check the computer's power specifications and confirm they say 50/60 Hz.

You also can determine if your computer or peripheral device is dual voltage (if it is manufactured to accept both 110V 60 Hz and 220V 50 Hz electricity). My laptop power supply transformer that plugs into the wall says input AC 100-240V, 50 / 60 Hz (so does my digital camera battery charger). This means it is dual voltage. If your device is dual voltage then you should be able to use it with just an adapter plug to fit the wall outlet.

Here were a couple of good sites I found through Google.

Aliyah (Electrical) FAQ:

www.megavolt.co.il/FAQ/aliyahFAQ.html#1

GLOBAL COMPUTER & MODEM USE

http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/modem.htm

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,781 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israel - Electricity Converter Needed?

Stodgman, thank you for your much more detailed response.

You are right that standard European prongs work "in many places." But not all, I have found. Thus it is better to have the three-prong adaptor as well.

My computer worked just fine with nothing other than the three-prong adaptor. The laptop already had the transformer with the AC power plug, and that worked for both 220 and 120. I was never aware of the Hz difference, but have never had a problem with that. Of course, the only electrical devices I typically use are my portable radio and sound soother and the computer; very rarely, I use a travel iron, but that is for very brief periods.

Douglas Duckett

Northern California
Level Contributor
69 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israel - Electricity Converter Needed?

I had to Google awhile to find a plug adapter for Israel.

Here is the description - WA-15 Grounded Plug Adapter

Grounded electrical plug adapters with Israel style plug (male) and universal socket (female). This adapter converts all standard international plug styles to the Israel plug style.

NOTE: These international travel adapters do not convert electric current. If your appliance does not accept 220-240 volt current, serious damage will result if you do not also use a step down transformer to convert the current to 110-120 volts.

Price $6.50

Cheapest Domestic Shipping $8.00

www.laptoptravel.com/Product.aspx…

888-LAP-TRAV (888-527-8728)

or here

Price $7.99

Shipping to California $6.78

international-electrical-supplies.com/plugad…

1-888-295-7650

5. Re: Israel - Electricity Converter Needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 10:52