We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night Bus - Istanbul to Antalya

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Night Bus - Istanbul to Antalya

Good People: in my never-ending quest to provide everyone with good information I decided to take the night bus from Istanbul to Antalya to see what it is was like. What it was like reminded me of 40 years ago when LemonLady was a young chick with a backpack trekking through Europe and Asia, single and fancy free. I bought my bus ticket on Metro Bus lines from the very convenient Tur-Ista Agency at 16 Diwan Yolu in Sultanahmet. They provide a free shuttle bus to the Otogar. I left on Friday night and traffic was terrible, even for Istanbul. The shuttle bus was late, we were stuck in traffic and arrived late at the Otogar but the Antalya bus luckily had not departed. The bus driver was obviously disturbed since he was late and kept yelling at me that I had no ticket when I was holding my ticket in my hand. When we got that sorted out he yelled at other people for not stowing their baggage properly and for other obscure reasons that my Turkish language skills could not fathom. So we departed about one half an hours late. I had a seat next another woman, the company works it out that way and it's a good idea I think. Lots of Turkish people and some Russian people but no one English or American or any other nationality. No one spoke to me all the way down to Antalya, this was the first time I ever took an intercity bus in Turkey and no one spoke to me. asked me where I was from, I found that a little strange. No announcements about stops were made in any language except Turkish but that was ok. The seat was comfortable but it took us 2 hours to get out of Istanbul proper since traffic was a nightmare. I've never seen the traffic so bad. It was a long night but I was able to sleep in little snatches. We made three or four rest stops and they were good, bathrooms have really been upgraded since 1997, clean and modern. I guess the old Turkish toilets will now become extinct, sad in a way. places to buy snacks. I had brought a sandwich, provided me by the friend at Blue Buffet in Sultanahmet and water and cookies and chips so I was well supplied with food. The bus company gave us tea and lovely chocolate cake. Also the obligatory spritz of lemon cologne. Early in the morning we stopped at the last rest stop and people had soup and bread and I was able to wash up. We finally arrived in Antalya about 14 and one half hours later. I was never so happy to see a place in my life, I guess LemonLady is now too old for this type of travel. I changed buses in Antalya to go on to Hotel Canada in Cirali. On the minibus to Cirali I was taken in hand by a Turkish granny who sat with me, told me the story of her life, I told her mine, shared snacks with me, patted me and generally made me feel good. That was the best part of the trip. That aspect of Turkey that continually warms my heart and makes any trip worthwile. So my advice good people is if you can afford it and want to go south-fly, flights are cheap but if you want this experience. Take the Metro Bus.....Happy Travel, LemonLady

kas
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Night Bus - Istanbul to Antalya

hello there,

my girlfriend visit me for a weekend in kas and yesterday we went to fethiye for her return trip to ankara.sad thing is they stole money out of her bag in the metro bus............

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night Bus - Istanbul to Antalya

Dear Bread and Water: I am sorry to hear about what happened to your girlfriend on the Metro Bus. I kept my handbag strap wrapped around me the whole trip as I do on the NY subway. But for some people the bus works. LemonLady

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,842 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night Bus - Istanbul to Antalya

bumping up for dethman........

4. Re: Night Bus - Istanbul to Antalya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 18:47