We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What items do you usually bring back home from Turkey?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What items do you usually bring back home from Turkey?

We all like to bring little (or not so little) things back home from our trips....

Tequila from Mexico, Coffee from Colombia, Kimonos from Japan, etc.

What do you usually bring back home when you visit Istanbul and Turkey and in general? (Besides rugs, things you can carry with you on the plane).

Spices maybe? What kind? Any specialty liquors or food that won't get taken away in customs?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,742 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What items do you usually bring back home from Turkey?

Irwin_el_Grande, welcome to Istanbul.

There are numerous gifts you can bring back home from Turkey. Baklva, Turkish delights, Spices from Spice Bazaar, Turkish ceramics, kilims, leather jackets or leatherwear, decorative lamps, calligraphy, T-shirts, jewelery, kilşim bags, suzanni boots, etc, etc. Have a look at these links: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5539…", and "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5104…", and "www.kilimarts.com/catalog/Category.aspx…", etc. Turkish wines are good also. I like "Ha-re" brand Turkish Coffee and Cream Liqueur. "proof66.com/liqueur/hare-coffee-and-cream-li…".

good luck,

enigma...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What items do you usually bring back home from Turkey?

Pashminas from the Market - have them in every colour and all my family and friends have had them as gifts and love them.

Cinnamon for my porridge in winter and for my coffee. Apple Tea and lemon cologne which I spray in my house as an air fresheneflanders as a fly deterrent also in summer. Turkish delight for my colleagues at work - the fresh lokum that is packed for you rather than the pre packed one.

Edited: 16 September 2012, 01:34
Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What items do you usually bring back home from Turkey?

I just got back from Turkey. I brought a few pashminas, spice grinders, apple and pomegranate tea, as well as Turkish Delight. Be careful as a lot of the souvenirs for sale are made in China. We saw Made in China boxes all over the Grand Bazaar.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What items do you usually bring back home from Turkey?

Nice tips, thanks.

So, there's no problem with customs bringing back spices and teas right?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What items do you usually bring back home from Turkey?

The above items are on my list as well as an inlaid backgammon board and pieces.

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What items do you usually bring back home from Turkey?

I told the Customs officer what I had and he never commented on it. I was leery he'd take away the Turkish Delight as it wasn't in a sealed package (I bought it fresh at the spice market) but he never asked to see anything.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,357 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What items do you usually bring back home from Turkey?

If you want to be on the safer side, advisable for german tourists, you should ask for vacuum packing the organic stuff.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
129 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What items do you usually bring back home from Turkey?

hi,

where do you get the best fresh Baklva &Turkish delights?

do they perish easily?

we'll be going to greece after istanbul before heading home. will it be wise to carry some with us?

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,357 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What items do you usually bring back home from Turkey?

Turkish delight won´t be a problem but I prefer my Baklava fresh. But I remember that there have been tourists who brought it to US and elsewhere, probably it depends on an appropriate boxing and the duration of your travelling.

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What items do you usually bring back home from Turkey?

Everyone says to buy the non pre packed turkish delight. Do you bring some plastic containers with you on holiday, to pack it for the return journey ? Seems a silly question, I know, but I am not sure what the sellers put it in for you !