We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey Visa on Arrival for Indian Passport Holders at IST

VCG
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
107 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Turkey Visa on Arrival for Indian Passport Holders at IST

I just arrived today morning into Istanbul airport from Mumbai and got the visa on arrival done. Here is the run down.

1. It is very easy to get it. You have be a bit patient. It takes about 30 to 45 minutes to get it so dont plan a quick connection.

2. The visa is NOT available from the normal visa counter.

3. You have to go to a special police desk which is at both the of the large and the small immigration area.

4. The police will check you passport and then give a paper which mentions the fees etc on it.

5. You take this paper and your passport to the main visa counter where they issue all other visas. There you pay the money; 15 euros or 20$. And they will give you a receipt.

6. Take the passport and the receipt back to the police desk as mentioned above. The police will them complete the immigration at one of the counters next to the desk and then you can enter.

7. Ensure you tell them exact number of days you want to stay as they are issuing visas based on that. One guy in front of me was not sure about 6 or 8 days, they gave him a 6 day single entry visa.

8. There is no requirement to show them any invitation, hotel reservations. But better to have them handy.

9. The funny part is its cheaper to get visa on arrival than from the consulate. Costs Rs. 2700 to get visa from the local consulate.

Overall there is no problem in doing this when you arrive.

1,011 replies to this topic
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,816 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkey Visa on Arrival for Indian Passport Holders at IST

VCG, thanks very much for this detailed explanation. The same would also be true for Pakistani and Bangladesh citizens since they have the same requirements for an airport visa.

enjoy Istanbul,

enigma...

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
75 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkey Visa on Arrival for Indian Passport Holders at IST

Dear VCG

Did you have a valid Schenegan, US or UK visa at that time as its mentioned that only those Indians are eligible for visa at borders who have valid Schenegan, US or UK visa.

Thanks

Mahesh

Mumbai, India
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkey Visa on Arrival for Indian Passport Holders at IST

thankyou so much for your detailed explanation VCG. i am planning to go to Prague in August and want to stop at istanbul for a day. can you please suggest any hotel package for a day or any tour for one day that i can avail at the airport. your suggestion will be of great help.

VCG
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
107 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkey Visa on Arrival for Indian Passport Holders at IST

Istanbul is a huge city with traffic that is worse than Mumbai. So keep this in mind. There are a few hotels around the airport but I have never stayed at them. Once you figure out the hotel check with their concierge about a 1 day tour.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,816 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkey Visa on Arrival for Indian Passport Holders at IST

kirti, First of all here is the Turkish visa regime for Inian Citizens: "mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.e…". If you fly with Turkish Airlines to Prague via Istanbul, then you may qualify for a free guided city tour. "http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-tr/" (click on "touristanbul").

Otherwise you can participate in the organized tours of one of the following travel agencies. "http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/tourop/", or discover the city yourself, with the help of good guide books.

good luck,

enigma...

Siliguri
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkey Visa on Arrival for Indian Passport Holders at IST

My family and I have Indian passports and had flown from the US via London almost 2 years ago and received one month visa on arrival at IST. The process was very much like has been described by VCG Mumbai's post here. Since we needed to stay for 2 months, we applied and miraculously received a one year residence permit before the one month visa expired.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,816 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkey Visa on Arrival for Indian Passport Holders at IST

Almond, that must have been a miracle! However very recently the process have even further been simplified. It is best explained at the following link. "mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.e…".

enigma...

Negril, Jamaica
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkey Visa on Arrival for Indian Passport Holders at IST

I'm planning to go to Turkey using the visa on arrival facility, but am having second thoughts after reading the experiences on this forum:

www.wordtravels.com/forum/comments.php…

The immigration/police at the airport seem to be trying to make a few extra bucks by harassing Indians.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,816 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkey Visa on Arrival for Indian Passport Holders at IST

Harry, In fact that forum proves the opposite. Have a look at the post 121 of "Vampiro": "www.wordtravels.com/forum/comments.php…".

enigma...

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turkey Visa on Arrival for Indian Passport Holders at IST

The visa on arrival rules for indian passport holders as given on mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.e… says those holding valid schenegan visa or OECD members visa. it does not mention US or UK. Are US & UK part of OECD member states?

Also i plan to go to turkey on 22 may on my way to Europe & my schenegan visa is validity date starts from 23 may. i hope this will not create problem as the rule says valid schenegan visa.

Reply to: Turkey Visa on Arrival for Indian Passport Holders at IST
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted