We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Handicrafts

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish Handicrafts

I belong to a group of fiber artists, and I'm interested in Turkish handicrafts.

I'd appreciate some suggestions of what small, relatively inexpensive, not-mass-produced handicrafts I might bring back as gifts for the other artists in my group and where I might find them. I'm especially interested in anything (materials or completed products) made of fiber--fabric, thread, yarn and paper.

I've learned a lot from lurking in this forum so thanks to all. By this time next week, I'll be in Istanbul! WooHoo!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,393 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish Handicrafts

Hi smallf00t,

Welcome to Istanbul. You might be interested in the following textile products, mostly made of fabric, and sold at a government owned store at Eminonu, not too far away from the Spice Bazaar: "www.ges.gov.tr/urunlerimiz.php…".

good luck,

enigma...

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish Handicrafts

enigma,

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! Thank you.

Could you give me more specific information on where the government store is located? If that information is on the website, I couldn't find it.

Thank you very much.

smallf00t

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,393 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish Handicrafts

smallf00t, It is at the "contact us" link of the website. Use the rolldown menu for Istanbul. Anyway here is the official address: "Bahçekapı El Sanatları ve Kitap Satış Mağazası, Hobyar Mah. Şeyhülislam Hayri Efendi Cad. No:2/1 - EMİNÖNÜ, Tel : 0212 526 68 13

Here at the following link, member "JR2000" explains very nicely the directions for this store: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k4245…".

good luck,

enigma...

Edited: 02 April 2011, 18:14
Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,741 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish Handicrafts

Turkey is a wonderful place for all sorts of handicrafts! It is a country where ladies still sew, knit, embroider etc. Obviously the rugs are wonderful! Also in and around the Arastra Bazaar in Sultanahmet there are a couple of shops that sell Turkish felt hats - possibly more expensive than you are looking to pay, but they are truly unique! Here are some photos:

www.feltingforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php…

Also Turkish socks - again really colourful and relatively cheap - easily found in the Grand Bazaar and elsewhere. You might be interested in this site:

http://colorjoy.com/weblog/archives/281

Also you can find pieces of marbled paper - or enjoy a caligraphy and marbelling lesson with these people - Les Arts Turcs who have a gallery in Sultanahmet.

http://www.lesartsturcs.com/

Enjoy your trip to Turkey!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
242 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish Handicrafts

I bought some nice Turkis handicrafts made with fabric and leather from the gift shops at Topkapi Palace, including Karagöz and mini kaftans. They were unique to Turkey, exquisitely made and can be easily packed, which made fabulous souvernirs.

Otherwise, you could find locally made pestamels as well as organic Turkish silk, bamboo, and linen products at Jennifer's Hamam, which is located at the Arasta Bazaar.

Enjoy!

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish Handicrafts

Colorful felt hats and shoes can be purchased at Cocoon's in Sultanahmet. If you walk out of the Arasta Bazaar at the rear of the bazaar and walk about half a block you will find this store on your left. All of my grandchildren have felt hats, and daughters all have felt slippers. It is an excellent gift to take home because it takes such a small space.

I would not categorize these as inexpensive, but they will last for a very long time. I think one of my daughter's has worn her slippers eight hours a day for the past three years, and they still look like new.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7,175 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish Handicrafts

You might find the "Boutique Leyla" interesting as well, it´s a recognized shop specializing in antique/vintage textiles, in the Altipatlar Sok no.6 or 10.

This street is in an area with some good antique shops in general, and the very varied and picturesque Turnacibaci- and Aga Hamani-streets, recommendable for a cozy stroll with vintage shops, nice restaurants and much more. It is close to the Istiklal main shopping street.

Of course, in spite of its touristy character, the Grand Bazaar should also be visited.

Joen

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkish Handicrafts

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions. We're looking forward to a fabulous trip.

smallf00t

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkish Handicrafts

There is no law in Turkey that requires a textile be labeled with the country where it was manufactured. If your goal is to purchase only Turkish textiles it might be a challenge for you. The last time I was in the Leyla there were fabrics from India, Pakistan and Iran in addition to Turkey. They were very responsible in revealing the originating country for all their fabrics, but not all shop keepers will be that ethical.

The same situation is true for fibre content. There is no law requiring a label to contain the types of materials used in the production of the item. I have seen salesmen offer silk pashminas that were, in fact, made from Polyester in China.

Ultimately you just do the best you can. Purchase fabrics you love at a price you can afford and do not be disappointed if you discover it somewhere else. I bought lovely Turkish towels in 2007 in Bursa. I found the exact same towels in Restoration Hardware a year later, but they were much more expensive. The towels in Restoration Hardware were, however, labeled as Turkish in origin.

10. Re: Turkish Handicrafts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 11:47