We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiction books

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Fiction books

Another thread inspired by Kozano's latest thread......

We have had threads about travel books for Istanbul and quite a lot of biographies etc - but what about good fiction books (or fiction-ish books) based in Istanbul?

What have people read - or is on their list to read?

I have read The Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin (which I wasn't hugely keen on - but I will at some point read the follow up The Snake Stone - also set in Istanbul) and I have also read the Barbara Nadal books (which I have to admit I like but probably mostly because of the location they are set in).

So how about everybody else? I need some good books to read during the winter while I am dreaming about being back in Istanbul!

Caro

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,110 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiction books

Not a book, but a dvd I can highly recommend

"A touch of Spice" a Turkish/Greek movie, very nice indeed.

Good luck dreaming in your winter months!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,768 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiction books

On the Turkey forum page, in Turkey Overview (box at top on left under the search), there is a entry called "Recommended Reading" which has a good selection of books set in/about Turkey.

I loved Jeremy Seal's "A Fez of the Heart" (but that is travels around the country - looking for a fez!) and am looking forward to reading his later book about "Santa Claus - St Nicholas"

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiction books

I'd second VR's recommendation of "A touch of spice" - I don't know whether the film has been released in the UK, I don't think so (I saw it in Spain), but you can read about it here: -

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0378897/

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiction books

Fabulous..... thank you.

I have just found 'A Touch of Spice' on Amazon and have ordered it!

Caro

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,110 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiction books

You will need some tissues for this book "the shrimp peeler' by Nilgün Yerli. She is Turkish origin, but left to Holland while very young in the early 70's. She is a well known cabaret comedian in Holland. What I heard last from her that she moved back to Istanbul now.

Her books are fictional, so moving, her family, the hard life in Holland to be acccepted. She wrote more books, not sure if they are translated:

http://www.wearetheturks.org/?p=265

Then another book is Stine Jensen's "Turkish Butterflies, a love between 2 cultures" also fiction. But wonderful witty and based on facts of her own and statistically. She is Danish, living in Holland, so writing in Dutch, however I think the translation is released earlier this year.

Good luck!

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiction books

Have just ordered A Fez of the Heart too!!

Sadly couldn't find translations of The Shrimp Peeler or Turkish Butterflies - will keep looking though!

Any more!?

Caro

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiction books

Anything by Yaşar Kemal I believe his wife translated a good few of his books.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,165 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiction books

What a wonderful thread. I immediately checked my library and found one of my favorite books on Turkey, "Scotch and Holy Water". I had bought this book, from the old used booksellers (Sahaflar) at the Beyazid entrance to Grand Bazaar about ten years ago. When I came home I realized that it was in fact authographed by the auhor himself, John D. Tumpane. What a pleasant surprise for me. It is a a light and a vey hilarious reading about the experiences of an American who lived in Turkey for ten years. It takes place in Turkey of 40 years ago and thus will give you some insight as to what and what not has changed since. I checked amazon and ity is available there. Here is the link

amazon.com/Scotch-Holy-Water-John-Tumpane/…

have fun,

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fiction books

I must stop ordering books....... I have just ordered Memed My Hawk by Yaşar Kemal and also Scotch and Holy Water!!!

This thread is SO exciting!!!

Caro

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fiction books

really enjoyed the book "The Last Train to Istanbul' by by Ayse Kulin. While fictional, it's based on actual events that occurred during World War II and was compiled via interviews with the actual diplomats involved. It tells the story of Turkish diplomats in Europe who, at great risk to their own lives and the lives of their families, helped many Jews who faced certain death at the hands of the Nazis escape to Turkey. It's really quite fascinating.

I also really like the Elif Shafak and Barbara Nadel mysteries that take place in Turkey.

Time now to go back to Amazon and order "A Touch of Spice." I, too, love this thread!

Jo