We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing sandals?

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
Wearing sandals?

I guess my husband and I are going to continue to debate this issue until I finally ask for some information. I wore sandals almost all the time we were In Turkey. There was no problem in Istanbul, but when we went to smaller towns on the Asian side, my husband thought that people looked at us as if they were offended. He is convinced I violated some custom by not wearing shoes that totally concealed my feet.

So what is the answer? We have a week of preparing meals riding on this answer.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,050 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wearing sandals?

Hi Busy retired,

I have actually never heard of this somebody being offended by sandals.

You could be stared at because, if I remember well, you were visiting Turkey a few months ago, while the weather was still chilly. At least, at this point temperatures can be discussed too. I am Dutch, and the first rays of sun still make me very happy and I immediately think I can store my winter clothes for at least 6 months here. Wrong. That is why we all got ill last month. It was sunny but the air was too cold for May. And I am happy to say summer did start in June, very late this year.

But what I mean to say, while I can get around in a t shirts, the Turkish locals still wear cardigans over jumpers over a shirt and socks until very high temperatures.

I have to say too, that I can be shocked, I remember a sunny day in April, the first day the tempertures did rise over 20C and I saw the first Brittish male tourists walking around topless, in sporty shorts in Fethiye town. Now that is offending if you ask me.

I am curious what others report.

Have a nice weekend!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wearing sandals?

Dear busy-retired,

There is no way you could offend anyone by wearing sandals in Turkey. As Villarhapsody rightly pointed out it was still considered winter or early spring when you were these and people most probably were just amused, lol :-)

Have a nice weekend

Kozano

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wearing sandals?

Hi BR: as VR and Kozano have said you have violated no custom in Turkey by wearing sandals. They probably wondered if your feet were freezing. So show your husband the thread and tell him 3 out of 4 local experts for Istanbul have validated your claim and now you win. When the pookie bear and I make bets like this we always do it for foot massages. The loser has to provide on demand foot massage. I win all the time. Happy Day, LL

If you want to wait for Alper you'll have a full house! Also we had a thread last year called Sandals in Istanbul by the Canadian Boys who asked the same question.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wearing sandals?

Ok: here it is the Sandals in Istanbul thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k4898…

LL

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wearing sandals?

I think as the other posters point out - the turkish people generally feel the cold more than we do (well us Brits anyway - coz we are so used to cold weather!!) and they have such superb weather.

My turkish friends think I'm weird when in April I'm walking around in shorts and a T-shirt and they are dressed in trousers and a jumper...so I think that is what they find strange - certainly no violation of their customs!

Cheers!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wearing sandals?

Thank you! Thank you! I am now going to write out my prefered menu for the week ahead. I think it is only fair that some of my choices come from the Let's Cook Turkish link:)

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wearing sandals?

Hi BR: is your husband up to Turkish cooking. I know the pookie bear isn't. Why do you think I opt for foot massage instead. In one of the great feats of the year 2000 pookie bear learned to microwave food. He loves to eat but if left to himself he would starve, poor bear. Of course the directions on that thread are quite good so I know your husband will be up for it. Happy Day, LL

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,077 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wearing sandals?

Hi all,

I heard from turkish friends and I also read it sometimes in books about Turkey that many turkish people attach great importance to neat clothes and especially good shoes. It is a sign of affluence and perhaps they are a bit astonished when they are seeing people from other(perhaps rich) countries just wearing sandals and no shoes. Even poor people try to wear good shoes.

Our friend told us that many turkish people would never go out in sandals ( he neither) but maybe in big cities the situation is different from the rural population.

But I don´t think that anyone would feel offended.

Perhaps Kozano or Alper know something more about it.

But anyway in summertime we wear sandals too.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wearing sandals?

Asian exchange students coming to Australia are apparently told that the wearing of cheap looking clothes can be deceptive and is a cultural, not economic choice!

As for climate, I have never forgotton the amazing sight of the males of Glasgow, Scotland stripping off their shirts and wandering around the city centre displaying their lily-white chests when we were in sweaters and I would guess it was about 15 degrees!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wearing sandals?

OK so now I feel compelled to explain why I was wearing sandals in March, which is why I was relunctant to post about this issue in the first place. I know that they were not appropriate to the season (although they were black and grey).

As I have said before, I have serious mobility issues. I knew I would not have the convenience of my motorized cart, and that the walking would be more treacherous than what I have in the US. Therefore, I decided to make comfort my first criteria when selecting footwear. I actually did wear nude-toed nylons with my sandals. (My daughter was horrified, as I guess this is simply "not done" in any fashionable location.) I am rarely cold, and not bothered if my feet are cold. So, it was a logical decision for me, just, I guess, not for anyone looking at me.

Still, sense I did not violate any cultural taboo, husband is getting out his chopping knife and favorite cooking pots. To reassure you LL, my husband does 90% of the cooking in our household, and is quite talented in the kitchen. He only developed this interest in the last ten years, so I clearly remember when he could do nothing but turn on the microwave. I think he eventually got tired of eating take-out and learned to cook in self-defense.