We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it Safe to Travel To Turkey??

philadelphia
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is it Safe to Travel To Turkey??

I want to go to Turkey in September, but eveytime I tell people that they tell me it is not safe to travel there.

Okay, want an honest opinion, should I book a trip there or just find another place to go?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it Safe to Travel To Turkey??

<<<<but eveytime I tell people that they tell me it is not safe to travel there.<<<<<

Welcome to the forums....just to comment on your statement above...I would imagine that these people you speak to about travel to Turkey..have NEVER visited themselves...

There is nothing unsafe about travelling to Turkey...

Foreign tourist arrivals increased substantially in Turkey between 2002 and 2005, from 12.8 million to 21.2 million, which made Turkey a top-10 destination in the world for foreign visitors.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Turkey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey

Millions of tourist visit each year to Turkey...please have a read through the pages of the forums..Trip reports, etc..and you will see that many have had fantastic holidays...most will say it was a trip of a lifetime..

have a read here on the Turkey Travel Planner..

turkeytravelplanner.com/details/…index.html

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it Safe to Travel To Turkey??

Turkish Tourism Ministry officials said on Tuesday that more than 26 million tourists visited Turkey in 2008.

turkishweekly.net/news/62569/more-than-26-mi…

hurriyet.com.tr/english/finance/10671007.asp

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it Safe to Travel To Turkey??

Relax, and come and see the place for yourself.

Depends where you want to visit - I can't speak for the east of the country, yet I go there.

I feel very safe in Turkey. You need to pay less attention to your personal safety than in many other countries. In crowds make sure your money and passport are safe and don't leave them unattended in your hotel room. Don't hang out in obvious foreigner or luxury bars and cafes.

Learn a bit of Turkish (enough to greet people in their language) and you will be amazed how hospitable people are. Travel out of the citis and off the beaten track for the best experiences.

September is still warm and a great month for visiting.

Have fun

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,543 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it Safe to Travel To Turkey??

İ don't know if you are male or female but suspect you may be female and concerned there fore about your personal safety.İ recommend you read the excellent and informative travel reviews of TA members Supermn98 and also MarlySF.Both of these are ladies from the US who made solo tours of Turkey just this last summer.Their frank honest(often funny)writing will İ am sure go a long way to reassuring you that travelling alone here-whether male or female is as safe if not safer than every other country in the world.

As with anywhere,even your home town,exercise sensible rules of caution regarding safety of person and property but come and enjoy the warmth and hospitality for which Turkey and it's people are so rightly famous.İ am a female who has lived here for many years and have travelled extensively even over into the supposedly risky parts of far eastern Turkey and have always been met with friendliness and courtesy plus of course the occasional curiosity!But never have İ felt uncomfortable or threatened or in personal danger.Your friends really don't know Turkey!!

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it Safe to Travel To Turkey??

I am guessing that those people who have told you it isn't safe to go haven't been there!

Turkey is a wonderful country and I have spent a lot of time there, I lived there for 3 years and I am hoping to buy a house there sometime.

Obviously it depends on where you are planning to visit but as long as you use common sense if travelling alone you will be absolutely fine, i.e don't wander about at night on your own, don't flash money around etc, things you wouldn't do normally.

Evn the east of Turkey is safe, I haven't been myself but my husband is from the east and he says it is beautiful.

So go for it, I'm sure you will love it!

Kedi

Cambridge
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it Safe to Travel To Turkey??

We have just spent ten days in Western Turkey over the Christmas holiday and can pass on some first hand experience for your reference.

We found that many Turkish people we came into contact with were friendly, helpful, open to tourists and well mannered. At many shops/restaurants, people tried hard to make a sale. They tried to get a response from us by asking where we were from, offering us teas and busy showing us many merchandise. When we made up our mind if we were not interested, we could leave at our free will. But we were very mindful and respectful of the cultural differences when we travel to a different country in another part of the world. We were impressed to find that many pessengers would willingly give up their seats to the more needed when we travel on the tram in Istanbul. As tourists, we were very alert on likely scams, we didn't come across many and general common sense was needed as always.

When on the road in large populated cities, many Turkish drivers can be a hassle, but we survived Antalya. Outside the cities, driving was not so bad. We did 1000 Km and avoided driving at night.

We hope your concern would not prevent you from exploring this lovely country.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,543 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it Safe to Travel To Turkey??

Ah!Ninquisitive,İ remember you posting questions about your itinery.Nice to hear you had such a good and positive time here.Please write us a trip review.Not only are we unbelievably nosy(!!)but your experiences may well help future visitors too.

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it Safe to Travel To Turkey??

I think there is a village called Turkey in Texas, maybe the people who told you it is not safe thought you are going to that Turkey :P

You will be overwhelmed by the lack of danger...

Ok, this post establishes that I sound drunk when I am deprived of sleep for a long time :) As if posts have a sound...

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it Safe to Travel To Turkey??

I notice that you've been to Morocco - I think you'll find rather less hassle in Turkey than there.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it Safe to Travel To Turkey??

Hi tqz,

I don't know why, but whenever you mention Turkey to people in the U.S. they automatically think "dangerous for Americans" or "dangerous for women traveling alone"....which is about as far from the truth as you can get! As other posters have said, "they" probably have never been to Turkey.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything the previous posters have said. I don't know what part(s) of Turkey you're planning to visit, but I do know that I feel much safer in Istanbul and cities in the Cappadocia region of Turkey than I do in Philadelphia or other major U.S. cities. So go ahead and book your trip...I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time, and you'll be amazed at the hospitality, kindness and friendliness of the Turks.

Jo