We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit visa for Turkmenistan

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
167 reviews
Transit visa for Turkmenistan

hi

I am planning a trip in Uzbekistan - then a visit do Darvasa and maybe Ashgabat if there is enough time and to then to cross the border into Kazakhstan and fly out from Aktau.

Has anyone done this trip? How easy is it to get a transit visa without a letter of invitation as an independent traveller? Also I have seen that for the transit visa, the Turkmenistan embassy would want proof of visa for the other two countries you are visiting but Kazakhstan does not require a visa so I would not know what to supply for the latter?

Thank you for any advice and info anyone can provide.

2 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Transit visa for Turkmenistan

Unfortunately you will not be granted a transit visa for your journey as you can cross into Kazakhstan from Uzbekistan without the need to transit through Turkmenistan. You can only get a transit visa through Turkmenistan where there is no other option to reach your next country, but to transit through the country, for example, Uzbekistan to Iran. There is a Turkmenistan embassy in Holland Park in London who would be able to advise and help, otherwise search for Caravanistan online who have a whole host of info.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
266 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Transit visa for Turkmenistan

For Turkmenistan, just join a group tour or a private tour. My LOI was approved less than a month (still feeling so grateful) and rumor has it that the approval has become more lenient nowadays. For the rest of the countries, you can go backpacking. But for Turkmenistan, better ask for an agent’s help. You will feel much secure.

Reply to: Transit visa for Turkmenistan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Turkmenistan