We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DN Tours - Highly recommended

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
DN Tours - Highly recommended

Just wanted to give some feedback on the operator I traveled with in Turmenistan: DN Tours.

I had an amazing tour through Turkmenistan with this company (Uzbek Border Farab-Merv-Mary-Ashgabat-Darvaza-Konya Urgench-Uzbek Border Dashoguz). The manager of the company, Gulnara, is very helpful and responsive and managed everything perfectly. Not only she quoted the cheapest prices, but the options and advice she offered were also the best I had been given (I contacted a dozen companies before making my decision). I got an English-speaking guide and private drivers, as well as free entry at archaeological sites, while other tour companies had quoted a much higher price for tours that did not include any guide (just a local driver who does not speak English). Unlike other tour operators, if you don't want to hire a private car, DN Tours offers you to travel by train (night train from Mary to Ashgabat in my case) or local buses for a cheaper price. You also don't pay anything until the turkmen authorities have issued your LOI (letter of invitation needed to process the visa), and Gulnara kept me updated on whatever information she got during the LOI application process. She always replied to my emails extremely quickly.

Traveling with my guide, Diana (21 years old), felt like traveling with a friend, as I am a woman in my 20s. I had not specifically requested to have a female guide around my age, but I thought it was very sensitive of Gulnara to arrange for her to be my guide, as we definitely had a lot to talk about and it was interesting to get to hear her perspective on Turkmen society. They also have other guides who speak different languages (French, German etc.). Although I usually travel solo and I enjoy being alone, I have to admit that having a guide made things easier, as I would have struggled with the language (Russian and Turkmen only) and I would not have learned as much about the country if I had been alone. I enjoyed learning about Turkmenistan, and Darvaza crater was a stunning experience I'll remember all my life.

The food was also great and the whole trip (train, car) was very comfortable. Tours are tailor-made and they are a great value for money. I would strongly recommend this company to everyone.

4 replies to this topic
Switzerland
Level Contributor
324 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: DN Tours - Highly recommended

I can confirm what cloxen64 wrote: I just come back from a 6-day tour to Turkmenistan, organized by DN Tours. Everyting was extremely well, a very knowledgable and sympathic tour-guide with very good knowledge of german, very comfortable cars. Everything went perfectly and they went out of their way to satisfy almost everything we asked for - and even more: we wanted to take the night-train from Mary to Ashgabat and they even managed somehow to get 4 tickets for the 2 of us, so we had a complete 4-place compartment for us alone even if the train was full.

I even had the chance to get to know Gulnara, the manager, personally as she was my guide for the last day in Ashgabat - a very sympathic person. During preparation for the trip, I had a lot of questions and she always responded in a very short time. And yes, prices were better than other offers we got. We payed only after we got our Letter of Invitation. We had a very tight program and still managed to see all the places we agreed to. From a long experience of travelling I can say that it was one of the most professional contacts I ever had, very reliable and customer-oriented - not to compare to old Soviet-time Intourist-mentality.

Turkmenistan might not be the easiest country to travel to and I can just guess how difficult it is to organize tours for foreigners. They managed to make the experience as comfortable as possible. Highly recommended!

london
Level Contributor
856 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: DN Tours - Highly recommended

and what sort of price does one pay for a 6 day 2 person guided tour

Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
1 review
3. Re: DN Tours - Highly recommended

Hi cloxen64,

How did you managed to leave Uzbekistan via Farab, and then re-enter Uzbekistan via Dashoguz?

Did you have to apply for a multi-entry visa or did you get two single entry visas?

Regards,

Amador

Samarkand...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
4. Re: DN Tours - Highly recommended

You need at least double entry visa to Uzbekistan

Reply to: DN Tours - Highly recommended
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Turkmenistan