We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist or Transit Visa and tour guides

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist or Transit Visa and tour guides

I am a British Citizen planning to visit Ashgabat and maybe Mary depending on prices etc.

The plan is I will fly into Ashgabat on a return flight from Moscow. landing on a Thursday morning and flying back to Moscow on a Saturday morning so 48 hrs in Turkmenistan in total.

Is it best to get a Tourist or Transit Visa?

Also I will book a tour guide for day 1 in Ashgabat and maybe for day 2 to Mary but if I decided not to go to Mary can I have a day in Ashgabat without a guide? Is this allowed like as if you were visiting pretty much anywhere else in the world?

Also roughly how much does one except to pay for day guides from Ashgabat to Mary and back? I've been quoted 250 USD/£190

Thanks in advance

5 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist or Transit Visa and tour guides

You definitely have to get a tourist visa.

A transit visa only works if you are transiting the country....entering Turkmenistan from one country and exiting to a different country. A return flight to Moscow via Ashgabat would not work.

You would have to hire a guide to go to Mary or anywhere else outside of Ashgabat. You can go around Ashgabat on your own but it would probably be better to have a driver/guide there as well. Even if it's just to tell you what you can photograph and what you can't.

I can't really help with current guide prices.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist or Transit Visa and tour guides

Thanks for all the info. I will get some prices etc. I also understand the photo situation

appreciate your help

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist or Transit Visa and tour guides

Can you book hotel from the UK directly in Ashgabat or do you have to book hotel via tourguides?

Also can you get a taxi in Ashgabat airport like anywhere else?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist or Transit Visa and tour guides

I'm also now thinking of flying London to Ashgabat via Istanbul and then from Ashgabat and get a Transit visa instead. The flight is more than from Moscow but overall cheaper than having a guide it seems. Especially as I only require a guide for 1 day. Are Transit Visas allowed for 48hrs? and are you definatley allowed outside the Airport?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist or Transit Visa and tour guides

I don't quite understand what you mean regarding your flights and I'm not sure that I can assist. I've never dealt with this company but you can get fairly reliable info regarding visas here>> http://bit.ly/2bPHCXv

As for your post #3 above you can book hotels here>> http://bit.ly/2y5UPqp

I've dealt with this company and they are definitely reliable.

Reply to: Tourist or Transit Visa and tour guides
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Turkmenistan