We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Money

HI

I wil be on a guided tour of Turkmenistan, 1 night in Ashgabat, 1 night by the crater then off to the border following day, what would be a reasonable amount of US dollars to change up, don't want to be left with lots of manat that I can't get rid of.

Can I exchange manat at the border with Uzbekistan?

2 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
563 posts
1,270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

You won't need much but you can ask the guides, who should take you somewhere to get cash. They should provide the meals for the crater (I got excellent shashlik and a lot of vodka) but in Ashgabat, meals can vary a lot in cost. I ate at the hotel restaurant one night and paid $30 for an excellent Chinese meal plus a beer while some Ashgabat restaurants cost only $5. There are some entry fees, like at Konye Urgench and the museum in Ashgabat. I expect you'd only need $50-$100 and you might be able to change unused money with the guides, even if it's at poor rates.

redditch
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

There is a huge difference between the cost of eating and drinking in hotels and a local bar, about 3 times the cost. If you change money in the hotels you will get about 3.5 Manat to the dollar, I changed at the markets and got 7.5...

Reply to: Money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Turkmenistan