We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel around Ashgabat and airport

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel around Ashgabat and airport

Hi

As i am flying in to Turkmenistan i i will be using a guide. My understanding is i don't need to use them whilst i am in Ashgabat, is this correct? if so how easy is it to travel around the city to see the sights? also how about getting from the airport to my hotel, and cost?

Mentioned in this post
Ashgabat
Ashgabat
Ahal Province, Turkmenistan
3 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2,875 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel around Ashgabat and airport

I would be very careful in this country as the rules change quickly. It is not a democratic place and people tend to be watched. I came with a Stanford tour and had no difficuktirs but the local guide was rigid in questions and d answers. Lots if places are off limits so be careful going it alone , better to be with a trusted guide. People appear to be afraid to speak their minds

Edited: 16 August 2017, 18:50
2. Re: Travel around Ashgabat and airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2017, 15:52

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2,875 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel around Ashgabat and airport

Hello steve

Just based my comments on my experience there. Probably safe to walk in a lot of areas but it is a strange country that has an under current of fear from its citizens

Reply to: Travel around Ashgabat and airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Turkmenistan