We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dushanbe to Tashkent overland?

St John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Dushanbe to Tashkent overland?

From my online and guide book reading it appears that getting from Dushanbe to Khojand is not too difficult - is it still okay, now?

Is it possible to get from Khojand to Tashkent overland, easily? Do the border people recognize a multi-entry visa? I have read that on some borders entry can be denied, notwithstanding a legitimate (multi-entry) visa.

A travel agent (in Melbourne) could not find any mention of flights from Dushanbe to Tashkent. I would rather go overland anyway. If anyone can offer any advice on this proposed trip I would be much obliged, thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Sydney
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dushanbe to Tashkent overland?

G'day Mate,

Re. Dushanbe to Khujand you can still travel there no problem.

about 7-8 hours drive or you can take a short 45 min flight with Tajik air.

You can cross to Uzbekistan via Oybek crossing no problem.

And there is no flight connections between these 2 countries.

St John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dushanbe to Tashkent overland?

Thanks Vic. Are you talking from (recent) experience I wonder? If you have been around those -stans of late, did you experience difficulties in obtaining visas?

St John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dushanbe to Tashkent overland?

Thanks Vic. Are you talking from (recent) experience I wonder? If you have been around those -stans of late, did you experience difficulties in obtaining visas?

Sydney
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dushanbe to Tashkent overland?

No worries mate check your inbox send you some message there.

St John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dushanbe to Tashkent overland?

I'll try to ring tomorrow, when I hit Reply (via Message Centre) it keeps telling me to reload. I have tried that a few times, but now give up.

6. Re: Dushanbe to Tashkent overland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2013, 08:03

Haverford...
Level Contributor
247 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dushanbe to Tashkent overland?

Out of curiosity, is there any way to book the Tajik Air flight from Dushanbe to Khujand 1-2 days in advance? I need to be in Tashkent two days after I arrive in Dushanbe, and I'm trying to determine the best course of action:

1. Spend two days in Dushanbe area, fly to Khujand, taxi to Tashkent

OR

2. Overnight in Dushanbe, taxi to Khujand, overnight in Khujand, taxi to Tashkent.

Thoughts?

8. Re: Dushanbe to Tashkent overland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2013, 08:03

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dushanbe to Tashkent overland?

Hi there thats a toughie as both are very viable options. If you are going to be in Dushanbe in the winter then the decision is made for you as the road (and i use the term loosely) to Khujand is closed due to winter weather conditions. I also read that both of the options are terrifying and bear in mind that no airline in Tajikistan is EU approved although neither are any airlines in Kyrgszstan and I had a lovely smooth flight between Bishkek and dushanbe. In any case I took the road route in the end and it was quite an experience. You will need to go to the shared taxi stand in Dushanbe - any hotel or hostel can tell you where this is and a taxi from anywhere in the town in very cheap. When you get here you will find an assortment of vehicles ranging from two and four wheeled drives., I was advised to take a jeep and supposedly you should look for one in good condition. In any case I ended up in a jeep with a guy proclaiming to be the best driver in Tajikistan although this was certainly debateable. The start of the drive is quite relaxing as there are paved roads. However at some point you will hit the gravel and mountain passes at high altitude. Yeah its scary alright even with best driver in tajikistan and close to the edge there are sheer drops. There is also a four km tunnel which is pitch black and flooded. Once past the mountain passes you will hit proper roads again. I got off just before khojand at Istarvashan which is a small village with a very authentic feel to it. From here a group of us took the local bus to khojand and then negotiated a shared taxi all the way to the border which set us back $40 but between 5 it was a good deal. After the tajik/Uzbek border you will then be attacked by hordes of taxi drivers to take you to tashkent. Thankfully i was still with the group and we got a shared taxi for $25 between five of us. It was a hell of an experience and obviously you will see some of the country although there is not that much to see especially in the mountains. There is a daily flight to khojand and I shouldnt think you would have any problem getting a ticket a couple of days in advance. I dont think you can purchase a tikcet on any website or agency outside of tajikistan. In any case i heard khojand was a quaint town although i only went through it briefly. Dushanbe has a few attractions and also some good museums and parks although london or ny it aint.

good luck

angie

www.angietravels.com

Edited: 16 May 2013, 17:19
Reply to: Dushanbe to Tashkent overland?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted