We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should not be missed in a one day Colombo trip

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
65 posts
What should not be missed in a one day Colombo trip

What should not be missed in a one day trip from Negombo to Colombo excluding shopping?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
104 reviews
1. Re: What should not be missed in a one day Colombo trip

Maybe a sunset walk on Galle Face Green.

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
65 posts
2. Re: What should not be missed in a one day Colombo trip

Thanks Archi.

I would love to know the rest in the morning and day time?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: What should not be missed in a one day Colombo trip

Sorry Abdul. Colombo is a place I steadily avoid if I can because as a large city in which I once lived for two years, there is nothing there for me. I was there last trip (9 months ago) and noticed more and better shops and friends tell me there are many good restaurants now. I also heard that there was a lady who does city tours that people enjoy. Perhaps someone will pick up that idea and offer information for you.

The temple at Kelaniya would be good to visit if there was a festival on.

Good luck

Archi

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: What should not be missed in a one day Colombo trip

Gangaramaya Temple is more in central Colombo.

Hans

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
104 reviews
5. Re: What should not be missed in a one day Colombo trip

I just googled Colombo city walks and there are some interesting options. The Facebook page has a phone number.

I've done these type of city tours in other Asian countries and jumped in a tuk tuk or pedlo when it was too hot

Archi

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,911 posts
6. Re: What should not be missed in a one day Colombo trip

Yep, Kelaniya temple can take a bit of time. I would suggest

1) Visit to Gangaramaya temple.

2) A drive/tuk tuk/ walk through the pettah markets

3) Cool off with Lunch at one of the restaurants at the Dutch hospital (the "fertilizer building" adjacent was recently opened up with a new set of restaurants) out of which, the most interesting would be the Tea bar

4) A drive/ride around independence square/old Dutch churches

5) A walk on the Galle Face green and a drink at the Galle Face Hotel Verandah.

The latter might be closed for renovations so you can try the new Sky Bar on the Kingsbury Hotel. Quite a nice view during sunset.

7. Re: What should not be missed in a one day Colombo trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 09:48