We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka Floods

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
Sri Lanka Floods

Hi All,

I am scheduled to travel to Sri Lanka tomorrow, but have just read the news on the flooding.

From what I've been reading, the flood seems bad as relief efforts have been activated. However there is no travel warnings issued.

Would anyone be able to help me out on this? Should I cancel my trip?

Appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Kenneth

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lanka Floods

Hi,

I live in Sri Lanka close to Colombo. Floods have impacted few areas only. As long as you avoid those areas there is nothing to worry about. You should mainly avoid Chliaw and areas north of Negombo where the floods have hit very badly. Down South is very much calm and safe.

Take note of below -

Several roads including the Kandy-Badulla road, Padiyapala-Walapane road, Puttalam-Chilaw Main road, the A5 road between Nuwara-Eliya and Chenkaladi, Potuwill-Panama road and the Nuwara-Eliya-Welimada road were closed due to floods and earth slips.

It was also reported that the train services in some areas were disrupted due to floods. This included the Up-country main line night mail, Rajarata Rajini which operates from Colombo to Omanthai via Vavuniya were cancelled due to floods

dailymirror.lk/news/24376-floods-continue-we…

If you can let us know your itinerary I can advise if you need to avoid any place. I do not think you need to cancel your trip!

cheers

Tharindu

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lanka Floods

Hi Tharindu,

I sincerely appreciate your help. I'm at my wit's end here.

My itinerary is Colombo -> Nurawa Eliya -> Tissa -> Galle -> Colombo.

I suppose travelling from Colombo to Nurawa Eliya would be rather problematic?

Many thanks for your advice.

Cheers,

Kenneth

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lanka Floods

Hi Kenneth,

What are your travel dates from Colombo to Nuwara Eliya? Are you traveling though Kandy?

cheers

Tharindu

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lanka Floods

Ambalantota town - between Hambantota and Tangalle - was flooded yesterday.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri Lanka Floods

You can see last 3hrs rainfall and 24hrs rain fall in following site.

http://www.meteo.gov.lk/

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
358 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sri Lanka Floods

All the flooded areas mat recover soon as today no any rains at all in flooded areas.

London
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sri Lanka Floods

Hi there

We have the same problem - we are meant to leave on Saturday for 2 weeks, starting the visit with the cultural triangle, then Kandy, then Hikkaduwa/Bilapatiyia (lake), Galle and Tangalla.

What would you advise?

Thank you for your help - we can still get some money for the flights and hotels but have to decide what to do pretty much now.

Gabrielle

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
47,018 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sri Lanka Floods

It's common seasonal pattern, and generally improving a lot towards Xmas. So I'd go ahead and travel, the odd detour might be needed but generally you should be fine.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sri Lanka Floods

Thanks Erik - it doesn't look like it will improve so we need to have a good think.

Does it usually rain all day or is it mostly showers?

Then - will the sea in Tangalle be rougher than usual?

Gabrielle

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sri Lanka Floods

Hi there...

Looking at some photos on Facebook from Ahungalla this morning, AND taken this morning weather looks ok, lovely clear blue sky with blazing sunshine, even the ocean looks calm.

I think they deliberately posted these photos to wind me up knowing what weather here in London is like !, if you are on FB, then check thier photos , Heritance Ahungalla...

I would NOT worry too much, as Erik says weather will now improve a lot towards Christmas and beyond...

Ahungalla is on south west coast, around 1 hour from Galle....

Regards

Dave