We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should I exchange sri lankan rupees before I go sri lanka?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
176 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
should I exchange sri lankan rupees before I go sri lanka?

Or should I exchange at airport on arrival? Do they accept singapore dollars? What happens if the counters are closed?

Thinking of changing some before I go but not sure if it's ok to bring in rupees cos I read somewhere its not allowed outside the country. If I have balance rupees can I take them out of the country?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,616 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should I exchange sri lankan rupees before I go sri lanka?

Hi there,

It's useless to bring them in. Bad rate outside Lanka. The counters are open 7 * 24 and yes do accept SGD.

Remaining rupees can be exchanged back at the end or, with a formal limit of 5,000, brought outside.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should I exchange sri lankan rupees before I go sri lanka?

Remember to keep your receipts from exchange to LKR as they are required in case you want to change back at your departure.

Hans

Gokaralla
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: should I exchange sri lankan rupees before I go sri lanka?

Yes .

But there are money exchange places all over the country+hotels.

U can exchange SGD & USD. Rupees can be exchanged back at the end @ airport.

4. Re: should I exchange sri lankan rupees before I go sri lanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 18:46