We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve Parties in Sri Lanka?

Sydney
5 posts
New Years Eve Parties in Sri Lanka?

Hi .. we are a young couple travelling to Sri Lanka over xmas and new years and wondering if there are any good places that have beach parties over new years eve? I understand Hikkaduwa and Arugam Bay have some nightlife in general. Do they have any organised parties on new years eve?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,487 posts
226 reviews
1. Re: New Years Eve Parties in Sri Lanka?

Hi there,

Arugam for sure not, as that time it's totally off-season there with flooding and torrential rains. Yes, Hikkaduwa and Unuwatuna will have a few. And Mount Lavinia, suburb of Colombo, will have a few beach parties for locals and tourists alike.

More upmarket NYE parties are found in the Colombo town hotels; e.g. Galle Face Hotel (on the coast but not really beach) always has a huge one, and all upmarket hotels with discos like the Taj and the Hilton also do their best.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: New Years Eve Parties in Sri Lanka?

We went to some locals house for New Year party. Loads of food drink music even live drums/ Bongos. What a Party we had till late hours. They even took us back to our hotel after by jeep. This was in Bentota or near there.

Sydney
5 posts
3. Re: New Years Eve Parties in Sri Lanka?

hi .. thanks for your replies ..yes definately looking to get out of colombo for NYE .... sounds like hikkaduwa and unawatuna are the go .....or maybe bentota... I went to a party at Galle Face hotel many years ago for NYE ... it was nice and def very classy .... but was pretty much all the rich kids of colombo though and seemed like a socialites get -together ... i wouldn't reccomend it so much for tourists tho ...

Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
110 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: New Years Eve Parties in Sri Lanka?

For more dj style def Hikaduwa or Unawatuuna. You could do one for xmas and the other for NYE.

Spunkywads

Beirut, Lebanon
2 posts
5. Re: New Years Eve Parties in Sri Lanka?

hiiiiiiiii i`m going to srilanka for the NY and i realy want a huge fire works at the midnight ,, so where can i go ,, please help

Beirut, Lebanon
2 posts
6. Re: New Years Eve Parties in Sri Lanka?

hiiiiiiiii i`m going to srilanka for the NY and i realy want a huge fire works at the midnight ,, so where can i go ,, please help

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
104 reviews
7. Re: New Years Eve Parties in Sri Lanka?

Mt Lavinia hotel has a fireworks party on NYE

Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
1 review
8. Re: New Years Eve Parties in Sri Lanka?

Go to Hikkaduwa, the whole beach is a big party and make your own fire work. It is cheap.

Leuven
13 posts
9. Re: New Years Eve Parties in Sri Lanka?

Dear Bladesboy,

We would love to celebrate new years eve like you did! Where was it? How did you manage to get invited?

Also, are there spots in the ancient cities or the hill country where there are festivities around new years eve? We would like to end our vacation at the beach (arrival 25th of december, departure 15th of january) , so it's a lot travelling back and forward to celebrate new years eve at the suggested locations above.

Negombo would be closer, is there any partying going on there?

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
10. Re: New Years Eve Parties in Sri Lanka?

is accomodation easy to find in Hikkaduwa for new years? not much seems to be online wondering our chances of finding somewhere if we just rock up?