We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colombo > Kandy > Adam's Peak

Dhaka, Bangladesh
3 posts
Colombo > Kandy > Adam's Peak

Hi,

I'll be travelling to Sri Lanka next week. I'm interested in visiting Kandy and Adam's Peak.

This is my first time visit to Sri Lanka. Can someone help me fix an itinerary?

I'd be arriving in Colombo to apply for a South African Visa. The process itself takes several days at the consulate so i'd be left with 4-5 days to explore Sri Lanka.

I'd appreciate if someone can let me know the following.

1. Which of the aforementioned places should i visit first?

2. Which mode of transport should i take and where to take it from?

3. Recommendation on guesthouses in Kandy and at Adam;s peak

Regards,

Ahmad

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Colombo > Kandy > Adam's Peak

Hi Ahmad747

Four or five days would be fine to visit the two places you mention. You could do it fairly easily by public transport and very cheaply this way, although it will take longer, so if budget is not a consideration, hire a driver/guide to accompany you throughout.

If you take the public transport option, you can travel direct to Adam's Peak from Colombo by bus throughout the pilgrimage season. Alternatively, take the bus to Hatton from Colombo and then change to Dalhousie on another bus from there. For slightly more, get a tuk-tuk from Hatton because you can then ask to stop along the way (it takes about an hour or just over to Dalhousie from Hatton) to admire the views or take photos. It really is an incredibly scenic ride.

I recommend staying at Slightly Chilled Guesthouse in Dalhousie. It is on the outskirts of the village (which is very small) and it is just a few minutes walk from there to the base of Adam's Peak to start your climb. There are a few other guesthouses too, but Slightly Chilled is the best. It costs around Rs2700 for a double room. Breakfast is extra.

When you leave Dalhousie, return to Hatton and get the train from there to Kandy (unless you have a driver of course). There are loads of guesthouses in Kandy. With an idea of your budget, I can advise you better. If you want really cheap and right in the middle of Kandy, the Olde Empire Hotel is unbeatable. It's right next to the Temple of the Tooth and Kandy lake, but there are only 2 en-suite rooms (the others have a communal washroom) and it's all cold water only. However, the place has bags of atmosphere and the rooms cost between Rs500 for the cheapest, and around Rs1400 for the en-suite ones. It's amazing value. It's a lovely old colonial property with a communal first floor balcony where you can relax and watch the goings on outside. Being so close to the temple, there's always something to look at.

For considerably more comfortable accommodation, have a look at the reviews on TA for Nature Walk Guesthouse. It's a 10 minute walk to the centre of town and offers superb facilties and all of the comforts which are lacking at the Olde Empire .. but still at guesthouse prices. I can highly recommend this one.

Whilst in Kandy, aswell as seeing the Temple of the Tooth, be sure to see the lovely Botanical Gardens at nearby Peradeniya. There are many things you can also see from Kandy, depending on how much time you have to spare and what you are most interested in doing. Let me know if you want further advice.

I don't know what time your flight leaves Sri Lanka. If it is early in the day, you might want to consider spending your final night somewhere near to the airport. Negombo is the best base for this as it is just a 20 minute drive away and there's plenty of guesthouses to choose from too.

Sue

Dhaka, Bangladesh
3 posts
2. Re: Colombo > Kandy > Adam's Peak

Hi Sue,

Thank you so much for such an encyclopedic response. It's been of immense help to me figuring out where to begin. I will definitely do as you suggested about going to Hatton and do a changeover for Dalhousie.

I'd be arriving in Colombo in the wee hours of Monday morning. And will find out how many days I'd be lent for my excursions the same day. If all goes well at the consulate then I reckon I'll begin my expedition on the 7th Apr. for Dalhousie. Btw, do you know where to take a bus from Colombo to Hatton and how long does this bit of the journey take?

I don't have any problems traveling in public transports, I actually prefer them when I'm traveling alone. In retrospect to the tuk-tuks do you have any clue as to how much the fare would be from Hatton to Dalhousie? Are these vehicles metered or do I have to negotiate the price with the driver?

My flight leaves at 2 in the morning. But, I'd have to return to Colombo to pick up my passport. I suppose I can lodge in Negambo at the day of my departure. Do you have any recommendations for Negambo?

Regards

Ahmad

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Colombo > Kandy > Adam's Peak

Hi again Ahmad!

I am very familiar with the route that you are taking, as it is one I have done on several occasions using public transport so I am delighted that you are prepared to do it this way.

You catch the bus to Hatton from the main bus station at Pettah in Colombo. It travels for about 2.5 hours to Kitulgala where the it stops for a short refreshment break at a local cafe (for about 15/20 mins) It is then another 1.5 hour journey to Hatton. When we asked a tuk-tuk driver in Hatton how much the fare to Dalhousie would be, he said Rs1400. We knocked him down to Rs1000 and then felt guilty as the journey took over an hour and he was a really obliging fellow who was happy to stop every time we wanted to take a photo (and I take an awful lot of photos ...!) so we ended up giving him what he'd originally asked! The tuk tuks aren't metered and every one you ask gives you a different price. I usually work on the basis of trying to knock them down and if they accept a lower price, I feel that is probably what it was worth.

The guesthouse we often use in Negombo is called Ocean View. Here's the link:

http://www.oceanview-negombo.com/

We last used it a month ago to get a few hours' sleep before an early morning flight and booked one of their cheapest rooms, at just Rs1300. It's a great place. It'll cost you Rs150 for a tuk-tuk from Negombo bus station to here (again with a bit of bartering) and a tuk-tuk to the airport should be around Rs700.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

All the best

Sue

Dhaka, Bangladesh
3 posts
4. Re: Colombo > Kandy > Adam's Peak

Hi Sue.

Thanks again in heaps. Just took a printout of your posts. will be making my travel plans around your suggestions.

Srilanka is beautiful.

Ahmad

5. Re: Colombo > Kandy > Adam's Peak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 April 2010, 18:37
6. Re: Colombo > Kandy > Adam's Peak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2010, 09:48