We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return to Sri Lanka

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
39 reviews
25 helpful votes
Return to Sri Lanka
Save

HI folks,

We visited Taj resort in Bentota about 10yrs ago, would like to revisit again, but have a few questions

a) What's the weather likely to be middle March (2022)

b) Do we have to apply for a visa, if so, any official links

Should we decide to book, what's the process for providing details we're both double jabbed, and boosted?

8 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
75,874 posts
338 reviews
390 helpful votes
1. Re: Return to Sri Lanka
Save

Hi there,

a] Still fine, but rougher sea also at Bentota.

b] Well Covid made it all a bit more complex. Visa, insurance, PCR test and optionally online health form. https://www.srilanka.travel/helloagain/ has up to date info.

< Erik> & [Sandya]

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
39 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: Return to Sri Lanka
Save

Thank you Erik, when we last visited during the month of January, we had numerous days of heavy downpours, whilst no one can predict daily forecasts, given our plan is to visit mid March, are we likely to experience the same

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,452 posts
39 reviews
162 helpful votes
3. Re: Return to Sri Lanka
Save

weather in March should be fine, mostly sunny but with showers and/or thunderstorms at least once a day. It should not impact your vacation too much.

You need an ETA that you apply for online (at the govt site, or you will pay extra). Additional documents that you carry when you travel; vaccination reports and PCR test reports that have to be done within 72 hours of your departure. These can be uploaded to the Health Declaration Form before you travel or just have them with you for inspection.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
75,874 posts
338 reviews
390 helpful votes
4. Re: Return to Sri Lanka
Save

Well on SW coast 'statistically' March is a bit worse than January. But last 5-10 years worldwide the weather does listen a lot less to statistics than it did before...

< Erik> & [Sandya]

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
39 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: Return to Sri Lanka
Save

laviniam & Erik, thank you both for the information, preferably, it's a hot / sunny beach holiday we're looking for, Sri Lanka is a huge country, I've no idea if what we're looking for is achievable,

The only reason we're considering returning to the Taj hotel and Bentota is we're familiar with the property and location, (off course, following Covid, it may have changed)

If we could pick up the area of Bentota and Taj hotel and relocated to what we're looking for, that'd make the perfect holiday

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
75,874 posts
338 reviews
390 helpful votes
6. Re: Return to Sri Lanka
Save

Well Vivanta by Taj, as it's now known, is still well reviewed and Bentota remains a great beach!

< Erik> & [Sandya]

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
19,191 posts
203 reviews
139 helpful votes
7. Re: Return to Sri Lanka
Save

Hi Wizwiz, I'm guessing you went in Jan 2011, I was in Sri Lanka for 4 weeks Jan/Feb 2011 and they had the worst weather in living memory I kept on being told, along the SW coast. Very little sunshine and lots & lots of rain

I've been 5 times since in Jan, Feb, May & Oct, never experienced anything like the rain in 2011 :), last in Bentota in Jan 2020, its still a lovely place to visit

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
39 reviews
25 helpful votes
8. Re: Return to Sri Lanka
Save

Ji Jayne

It was January 2011, when we last visited Sri Lanka, the rain was so bad, most days we were confined to the hotel, the hotel management kept apologising for the weather, in fact, I'm sure out of embarrassment, we were offered complimentary dinning on numerous occasions, in all our years of visiting the Far East, never, ever had we witnessed so much rain,

Were planning on returning back to the Taj March this year, flights, hotel, visa, no problem sorting, it's just the PCR process that's troubling.

Reply to: Return to Sri Lanka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.