We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuel and Food Crisis

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
320 posts
558 reviews
214 helpful votes
Fuel and Food Crisis
Save

I have been planning a trip to Sri Lanka for a while, and I'm supposed to arrive in a week. I saw a news report showing people waiting in long queues to get food from grocery stores, as well as long queues to get petrol, and also some blackouts. I was wondering if anyone in Sri Lanka could give advice about whether or not I should still visit during these times.

Thank you so much.

6 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
7,625 posts
1. Re: Fuel and Food Crisis
Save

There are some recent threads on this. But not many, as this seem to have no effect on tourists.

So you should be fine. Unless you're backpacking/considering home-stays. Then you might have to experience the same inconveniences that locals do

Matale, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
336 posts
26 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Fuel and Food Crisis
Save

Hi, welcome to Sri Lanka.

During the last few months the prices here are going high and yes, people are queuing for gas and food, also there are some short time power cuts. But all this doesn't have any effect on the tourism industry. We treat all our tourists with great hospitality and you can travel freely and enjoy your trip. Don't hesitate to choose Sri Lanka as your destination - we will be happy to welcome you.

Dehiwala-Mount...
Level Contributor
568 posts
3. Re: Fuel and Food Crisis
Save

I been here for over three months traveling island wide and logging 1000's of km's on my Terios , cooking all the foods i need with LP and eating anything i want to with zero issues what so ever. Just back from 5 days at YALA Cinnamon Wild Beach Chalet's with all the food I could eat with petrol, etc ,etc, etc,,, Fear Mongering from the wizards here have not affected my 7 month stay at all.. Bring your money and have it...!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,450 posts
39 reviews
162 helpful votes
4. Re: Fuel and Food Crisis
Save

The economic issues impact locals mostly and so far the impact on tourists appears to be minimal.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
320 posts
558 reviews
214 helpful votes
5. Re: Fuel and Food Crisis
Save

Thanks for all of your responses. I figured that things would probably be fine for tourists, but it's never a bad idea to ask, just to make sure :-)

Dehiwala-Mount...
Level Contributor
568 posts
6. Re: Fuel and Food Crisis
Save

#5... Bring your cash and everything else will be just fine..! :) Been here over 3 months and no issues for my wife and I at all but yes it is impacting the local people for sure. Only thing that is almost impossible to get a hold of is a rental car if you are driving here. Beer Stocks are in ample supply everywhere..:)

Reply to: Fuel and Food Crisis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.