We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice please

Vilnius, Lithuania
Destination Expert
for Lithuania, Vilnius
Level Contributor
5,070 posts
324 reviews
268 helpful votes
Itinerary advice please
Save

Hello,

I am in final stages of our Sri Lanka trip planning, first time visit, going in the mid of March for 14 nights. We are 4 friends traveling, in our 50's, interested in cultural sights and local experiences.

Could I get some reviews of my plan please, if there is anything sensible to change or adjust:

- Day 1-3 .Arrival to Colombo in early morning, 6am, heading straight to Sigiriya for 3 nights. Visiting Polonnaruwa and Dambula.

- Day 4. Heading to Kandy, botanical garden visit, Temple of the Sacred Tooth, evening show.

- Day 5-6. Leaving to Nuwara Eliya, 2 nights. Victoria park, Pedro Tea Estate and World's End trail.

- Day 7-8. Morning train to Ella, stay 2 nights. Little Adam's Peak, Nine Arch Bridge.

- Day 9. Leaving to Tissa, stay 1 night before safari in Yala NP.

- Day 10. Early morning safari in Yala. Going to Tangalle afterwards.

- Day 11-12. Tangalle, relax at beach for 3 nights.

- Day 13. Galle 1 night.

- Day 14. Negombo visit and overnight close to the airport, early morning flight home. Antigen test at the airport.

I am still debating if we need a driver for a whole time or can we do with taxis from point to point. Our first hotel offers $90 transfer to Sigiriya, is that reasonable for a van?

Any idea for a van taxi prices :

Sigiriya to Kandy

Kandy to Nuwara Eliya

Ella to Tissamaharama

Tissamaharama to Tangalle

Tangalle to Galle

Galle to Negombo

Could we include some cinnamon factory if there is any available close to our route?

appreciate all comments and grateful in advance for any ideas, thank you!

7 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
53 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: Itinerary advice please
Save

Hi,

it is great that you are going - we had the best holiday ever in Sri Lanka!

While you are visiting many great locations, and it will be possible (just) it would be way too rushed for me. All of these locations have their merits but I would advise you to reduce the number and spend 3 nights in most destinations to give you 2 clear days to get to know and explore at least a small area around each and get to know some locals a little. There are some great less-visited jungle set ancient temples to explore. I think $90 for a van for a transfer to Sigiriya sounds about right and similar for other transfers between medium/long-range destinations including a stop/detours to locations on the way (we found the drivers can be a bit reluctant to do this but if you point out that the fee should include this before set off you should be ok)

Have a good one.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
75,863 posts
338 reviews
390 helpful votes
2. Re: Itinerary advice please
Save

Here the pricing model etc...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QQX5bAkx45Fv6dJDOAgflhsfQ_2kaTjp92CUCp5MMww/edit?usp=sharing

< Erik> & [Sandya]

Al Ain, United Arab...
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Itinerary advice please
Save

Your itinerary is perfect. Few suggestions.

Day 14: You don't need to stay at Negombo. From Gale, it will not take more than 2 hours to reach to airport since the road is express highway. We stayed in Unawatana Beach near to Gale and from Gale it took us like 2 hours.

It is much recommended to do village tour in Habarana and it cost around 15 USD per person (it includes bullock cart, boating, lunch at village. You may go to herbal garden and wooden arts factory near to Kandy and it's great. Our driver took us to this place or you may check with your driver directly.

I just came back from Sri Lanka two weeks s back. I choose Rahmath for 7 seater car, one of the best driver I cam across. His cell number is +94 77 754 3463. Please find my reviews below;

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g612384-d15757872-r823781359-Fly_Wings_Srilanka_Holidays-Aluthgama_Western_Province.html

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Itinerary advice please
Save

We just returned from a 2 week stay in Sri Lanka . Like you we debated whether or not to get a car and driver for whole trip or piece together various options. We opted for a car and driver for our whole trip and were glad we did.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Destination Expert
for Lithuania, Vilnius
Level Contributor
5,070 posts
324 reviews
268 helpful votes
5. Re: Itinerary advice please
Save

many thanks everyone who replied !

6. Re: Itinerary advice please

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

7. Re: Itinerary advice please

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

Reply to: Itinerary advice please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.