We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
51 reviews
34 helpful votes
Itinerary Advice
Save

Hi,

I have return flights booked to the Maldives (Dec 26 - Jan 9). My plan was to stay there for 4 nights and then spend Dec 31 (arrive in to Colombo around 5pm) through Jan 8 in SL before flying back to MLE.

We've never been to either destination before and won't be able to do all we want but wondered if people can sanity check these two options. Is there enough time to do either itinerary? Would you recommend one over the other?

1). Spend Dec 31 and Jan 1 in Colombo (is it worth spending this much time here?). Jan 2 head to Yala National Park for afternoon safari (is an afternoon enough). Jan 3 - 7 South coast beaches. Jan 8 head back to Colombo stopping at Galle on route.

2).

1). Spend Dec 31 and Jan 1 in Colombo (is it worth spending this much time here?). Jan 2 head to Cultural triangle for 2 nights. Jan 4 head to Ella for 2 nights. Jan 6 Yala National Park before heading to beach. Jan 8 head back to Colombo stopping at Galle on route.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

9 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
75,866 posts
338 reviews
390 helpful votes
1. Re: Itinerary Advice
Save

Hi there.

Option 1 does not do justice to the island and leads to an overkill of beaches, added to Maldives. But Triangle to Ella is a 7-8 hours drive, so option 2 as it is can feel a bit packed. Yes one half day for Yala is enough for most.

< Erik> & [Sandya]

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
51 reviews
34 helpful votes
2. Re: Itinerary Advice
Save

Thanks Sandya and Erik. Is there a revised version you could recommend for option 2, or any further guidance?

Alan

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,447 posts
39 reviews
162 helpful votes
3. Re: Itinerary Advice
Save

Given that you are coming from the Maldives with superior beaches, I would give the beaches in Sri Lanka a miss. I would do Option 2 in reverse, go to Yala first (1 night), then Ella (2 nights), Sigiriya area (through Kandy, which is 7 hour drive), 2-3 nights there to visit Sigiriya, Dambulla, and Polonnaruwa, and a safari in Minneriya, then back to Colombo.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
51 reviews
34 helpful votes
4. Re: Itinerary Advice
Save

Hi,

If I skip the Maldives and arrive late in to Colombo on the 27th and wanted to incorporate beaches at the end of the trip how would best suggest i split up the time?

I'd need to fly back to Dubai to connect to the UK on the 8th at 6pm.

Alan

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
75,866 posts
338 reviews
390 helpful votes
5. Re: Itinerary Advice
Save

Then eg. 27th Negombo (near airport)

28-29-30 Sigiriya/Habarana, aka the Cultural Triangle

31st Kandy (otherwise the transfer is too long)

1st-2nd Ella

3rd Yala

4-5-6-7 Beach, choice between Tangalle-Mirissa-Unawatuna-Hikka-Bentota

Even from Tangalle only 3.30 hours to airport so 8th you can go direct from beach to airport.

< Erik> & [Sandya]

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
51 reviews
34 helpful votes
6. Re: Itinerary Advice
Save

Thanks so much - is Colombo worth a day (in your opinion)?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
75,866 posts
338 reviews
390 helpful votes
7. Re: Itinerary Advice
Save

In ours not unless for shopping, but lots of people here disagreeing with us hence form your own opinion ;-)

< Erik>

8. Re: Itinerary Advice

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,447 posts
39 reviews
162 helpful votes
9. Re: Itinerary Advice
Save

Colombo has many interesting places for a day or two IMO, not just shopping. Pre-covid, there were really interesting food tours, they probably are not available now. Then there are a couple of nice shops that sell local stuff, places to check out if you have an interest in architecture. Some of the big hotels (like Cinnamon Grand) have really good restaurants. For a capital city of a country, it has a strange and a pleasant relaxed feeling, that may be just how I feel! It is the only big city in the world that I know that one can do serious birdwatching in the suburbs, where crocodiles exist peacefully (for the most part) with humans.

Reply to: Itinerary Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.