We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kandy to Ella - Booking train tickets

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
6 helpful votes
Kandy to Ella - Booking train tickets
Save

Hi All,

We wanted to book the train tickets Kandy - Ella in advance however we found some contradictory information online:

Bookaway mentions: "TICKET EXCHANGE : Passengers need to exchange their voucher for a paper ticket at any of the ticket counters at the train station."

while 12go.asia says: "Sri Lanka Railways does NOT issue e-tickets! A PAPER TICKET is required when boarding. You CANNOT exchange tickets at the train station" and suggests we order delivery to hotel

Also, we want 2nd class reserved but I could not see any seat number on the ticket at Bookaway (I did a simulation up till payment point).

Do you know which of the two websites is correct in regard to the exchange of tickets at the train station? Do you suggest any better way to reserve tickets? We tried contacting our host in Kandy to ask if they can assist with the reservation but they weren't too helpful.

Thanks,

Silviu

7 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
75,863 posts
338 reviews
390 helpful votes
1. Re: Kandy to Ella - Booking train tickets
Save

We exchanged at the railway station some years back. Alternative are some Mobitel phone shops. Hence 12Go Asia is closer to the truth than Bookaway...

< Erik> & [Sandya]

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
908 posts
40 reviews
13 helpful votes
2. Re: Kandy to Ella - Booking train tickets
Save

As far as I know you need get the physical ticket at the station and you'll get reference number from the booking agent which can be used to get your paper ticket. SLR doesn't use e tickets as far as I know.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
75,863 posts
338 reviews
390 helpful votes
3. Re: Kandy to Ella - Booking train tickets
Save

Yes the e-ticket, sometimes called m-ticket, is the reference number. And exchanging for a real ticket is compulsory.

< Erik>

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
75,863 posts
338 reviews
390 helpful votes
4. Re: Kandy to Ella - Booking train tickets
Save

Oops, small typo above: it's 12Go.Asia that talks nonsense, Bookaway is right ;-)

< Erik> & [Sandya]

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Kandy to Ella - Booking train tickets
Save

Thanks both, so it seems that it's okay to book them via Bookaway and then pick up the paper version at the train station in Kandy when we arrive!

Liz
2 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Kandy to Ella - Booking train tickets
Save

Hi Silviu,

I was wondering if it worked out okay to book via Bookaway and pick up the tickets in Kandy? I am also looking for 2nd class reserved tickets and ran into the same contradicting information. It would be a great help if you could could give an update if booking via Bookaway worked well!

Thanks in advance,

Liz

Edited: 22 January 2022, 02:46
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Kandy to Ella - Booking train tickets
Save

I booked and payed from 12goAsia to get a notification a few days later saying there were no seats on 2nd class reserved, so they pushed us into 1st class. They didn't assign us any seat upon booking. This was more than 3 weeks in advance, in fact, ill only take the train on Feb 4th... Also beware that they sell more than 1 ticket for the same seats so it's not uncommon to get in and find someone else in your seat.

12goAsia has an option to have the "real" ticket sent at the hote. They even write there that they DONT exchange in the train station anymore.

Reply to: Kandy to Ella - Booking train tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.