We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car and driver travel in Sri Lanka

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
43 reviews
car and driver travel in Sri Lanka

Hi

we're going to be travelling around Sri Lanka for 3 weeks - roughly Colombo, Galle, Kataragama, Ella, Kandy, Habarana Anuradhapura, Jaffna, Anuradhapura, Wilpattu, Negombo.

I'm wondering if it's cheaper to get a car and driver for separate legs of the trip and sighting-seeing in between - or hire a car and driver for whole 3 weeks?

What is the usual cost of car/driver hire per day or half day?.

Also how easy is it to use the trains? are the stations as busy as indian ones? We're thinking of using train to get to and from Jaffna.

thank you for your help in advance!

6 replies to this topic
Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: car and driver travel in Sri Lanka

may i ask you to refer this doc

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29396…

Level Contributor
489 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: car and driver travel in Sri Lanka

Taxis are cheaper when you only need a vehicle for few legs of the tour. Without driver accommodation a vehicle would cost about USD 50 - 60 per day. If the hotels you are staying not giving free accommodation to the driver, you will have to pay extra USD 10 - 20 per night. If you want I can give the details of the driver I used. Drop a pm.

Generally trains are not busy as in India. However, there are busy hours. I haven't taken the train to Jaffna. However, I don't think it will be busy. (Only very few tourists go there.)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,060 posts
229 reviews
3. Re: car and driver travel in Sri Lanka

On both times I had a Jaffna train it was packed beyond capacity, and I was glad to have a reservation. As it's faster than road travel it's quite popular with locals.

<Erik>

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: car and driver travel in Sri Lanka

thank you for that useful info!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: car and driver travel in Sri Lanka

On popular routes (Kandy - Ella) and during office commuting times of the day, the trains get really packed.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
197 posts
137 reviews
6. Re: car and driver travel in Sri Lanka

Feel free to get in touch if you are interested in the contact details of a driver we found good value for money. He will tell you the costs and then you can see if it is worth it or whether it is cheaper for you to hire a driver for each leg of your journey.

Reply to: car and driver travel in Sri Lanka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted