We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuk Tuks - questions

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Tuk Tuks - questions

Hi I've got a question how Tuk Tuk works :)

1. How to call Tuk Tuk from the hotel? For example I'm in the hotel (5km by google maps) from the city, when I ask how much would tuk tuk cost and can they call it, they said to me 800-1000, so i guess this is a little bit higher that I am expecting (after reading that 1km is between 40-50 LKR)

2. When there is a lot of Tuk Tuks, how to choose the best one, ask everybody one tuk tuk then another "how much to..."?

3. What you do when drive in the middle of nowhere says "500 more" or at the end argues and wants more?

2 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,569 posts
229 reviews
1. Re: Tuk Tuks - questions

Hi there,

1] Well they should be waiting at almost every street corner, hopefully also near the hotel, But when you arrive at the hotel by tuktuk, write down the mobile number of the driver and he'll be able to find someone when you call and he can't come himself.

2] If metered, then simply first one (and have your planned route at hand on google maps to prevent 'tourust routes'). If unmetered, first one with fair price.

3] Have the number of the tourist police at hand. Threatening to call them often does the job.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
447 reviews
2. Re: Tuk Tuks - questions

There is an app called PICKME which i did use and very cheap

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…

Reply to: Tuk Tuks - questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted