We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicycle renting in Sri Lanka?

5 posts
Save Topic
Bicycle renting in Sri Lanka?

Hi,

We are travelling to Sri Lanka for 2 weeks in Jan/Feb 2017. We would like to make a countryside bicycle tour and want to rent GOOD QUALITY hybrid or mountain bikes for at least one week (maybe even for whole two week period). Do you know any good bicycle rental company in Colombo/Negombo or elsewhere in Sri Lanka? Bringing our own bikes is not an option because it costs 400€ for two persons.

Thanks for your advice,

Pekka

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Negombo
Negombo
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,636 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bicycle renting in Sri Lanka?

Shops like Kenton and Suriyage in Colombo now stock top class imported gear, also used in local bike/MTB races. Not sure about rentals.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
St Albans
Level Contributor
486 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bicycle renting in Sri Lanka?

The only one I've seen is Eco Team, but they may only hire them out if you go on one of their tours:

srilankaecotourism.com/cycle_renting_profess…

Otherwise the quality of bikes to rent is really low, so you do need to make sure you have something lined up before you go.

3. Re: Bicycle renting in Sri Lanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2018, 16:41
somerset uk
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bicycle renting in Sri Lanka?

Who are you flying with? I have brought my own bike lots of times from UK for free(many different airlines) providing you stay within the weight limit. You are unlikely to find bikes to rent with racks to carry 2 weeks worth of luggage.

Richard

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bicycle renting in Sri Lanka?

We fly with Thomson Airways and the price 100€/each way/bike is clearly written on their web pages. We've also flown quite a few times with different airlines and the last time we could take our bikes for free was 11 years ago.

I've sent now inquiries for companies mentioned here and one other company. Haven't got answers yet but I'll let you know when I've got.

Pekka

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bicycle renting in Sri Lanka?

We just completed our trip and I answer to my own question. It was not easy to get bicycle in Negombo/Colombo. Actually I tried to organise them for two months without success. Most companies mentioned here or found with google didn't answer to my emails at all. I guess they didn't have any bikes for rent. I got few answers but when I tried to get more information about their brands/models/sizes they either couldn't tell or propably had those crap bikes we saw in Negombo streets (we really saw quite many rentals in Negombo but bikes were really crap, not to be taken for a long tour).

Luckily when everything seemed quite bad on our first day there (still no bikes), Pemila, the owner of Mango The Transit Home (our accommodation), bought two good used hybrids and rented them for us!!! Bikes were Giant Escape (size M) and Trek 7.5FX (size 55cm). They had a bit mixed but reasonably good components, Deore/LX level. I can really recommend Mango (http://www.booking.com/hotel/lk/mango-the-transit-home.html tel. +94 779193458) if you need to rent bikes.

Few things about biking in Sri Lanka:

- traffic is quite chaotic especially in cities and bigger towns but when you get used to that it's not anymore so scary

- bring your own spare tubes (impossible to get good there), maybe also one tyre, a patch kit, pump and tool set

- hybrid with 28mm tyres was the right choice because roads were much better than we thought and there are very steep hills inland. So light bike is much nicer than heavy mtb

- people are very friendly and nice and safety very good (except traffic)

- if you can stand the heath and humidity there is a lot to see in Sri Lanka. And on bicycle you enjoy it even more.

Pekka

Mentioned in this post
Negombo
Negombo
Colombo
Colombo
7. Re: Bicycle renting in Sri Lanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2017, 10:45