We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from London to Lahore

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip from London to Lahore

Hi Guys

I am thinking of going from London to Lahore via Turkey & Iran.

There is a group of us, and we will be taking an old Toyota Hiace.

When we enter the border from Iran do we need to present any specific documents? We all have identity cards, so visas will not be an issue.

Any places that we shoud stop and visit in Pakistan and the whole journey?

Just looking for any advice or help!

Appreciate your time, and a thank you in advance.

Hassam

219 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip from London to Lahore

Hi Hassam

I must admit that it's been a long time since I heard of anyone going to Pakistan by road from the UK. It was all the rage in the 70's. The vehicle of choice was a Ford Transit van, often converted into a minibus. Hence why all the "wagons" thereafter were always Ford Transit ones.

Coming back to your question. The Iranian border crossing will be near Quetta. When my uncle did this journey in 1980, he could only get into the country if he paid custom duty on his Transit. So, if you're planning to sell your conveyance anyway, that's not a problem because at the point of sale you'd have to prove that you paid the custom duty thus proving that your vehicle was a bona fide import.

The problem arises if you don't want to sell and return to UK on it. I'm sure there must be procedures to allow that. Best to check with the local Pakistani consulate in the UK.

Edited: 12 April 2012, 22:02
islamabad
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip from London to Lahore

You need a Carnet Depass for your car which you have to arrange before entering in to Pakistan.

You don't have pay custom duty or anything at the border.Remember,you can't sell your car here in Pakistan at least.

Peshawar, Pakistan
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip from London to Lahore

Carnet De Passage is required.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip from London to Lahore

Also, better if you can look on safety and security issues especially in Baluchistan region. I am quite familiar and traveled a lot towards the said border, was trend till few years back many people were coming and hold overland trips, but the truth is not common at this stage because of some security reasons.

Local security will always try to push you towards lahore or Karachi, depends which road you want to take. But we for Lahore, Taftan to Quetta and next day to D.I. khan and to Lahore than cross the waga border or continue drive towards Islamabad - North Pakistan.

Permit for vehicle is important always not only for all borders joining with Pakistan but also very common in Nepal, Tibet and China. It is simple document allowing you to go with your vehicle the destination you will mentioned and a copy of document will need to enter or exit any border, border security forces will ask you.

hope it helps!

HT

London, England...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip from London to Lahore

I went by road from London to Lahore Pakistan last December which was not ideal time of the year to travel through those Icy cold and snowy mountains or roads. You may Find the following advice helpful.

1- Safety First, Always Travel as a convoy, at least two cars driving together, especially Boarder areas of Turkey with Iran and boarder areas of Iran with Pakistan, once you have Quetta towards other Pakistani cities you will be safe.

2- Keep your NICOPs handy on arrival at Pakistani boarder

3 You must obtain a Carnet for your car, or the customs on Pakistan boarder will get you mad.

4- Passing through Europe and entering Turkey will be a piece of cake but don't forget to have Insurance to cover Europe and Turkey.

Starting from Iran border you will need carnet and Iran's visa.

5- Keep currency (cash) for Iran and Pakistan.

For further questions or if you want me to join you in my car, I am going in July 2012 again, call me on 07957 338905

Edited: 24 June 2012, 18:48
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip from London to Lahore

sohail, its very helpful advice,

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip from London to Lahore

I would say better wait for now, situation seems disturb especially from Taftan until entering interior punjab.

I have done this this trip few year ago with some Europeans.

HT

islamabad
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip from London to Lahore

Indeed its very helpful first hand info by Sohail.However I suppose Sassam Shaukat is Pakistani living abroad so security situation around Baluchistan province as well as in the rest of the country should be a problem for him & for Sohail.

Enjoy your trip guys.

London, England...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip from London to Lahore

Hi Hassam, I have traveled before by road to Pakistan from London and traveling this month (July 2012) again, if you wish to join the adventure, get in touch on 07957 338905, we travel as convoy and I can give you most of the information you need. Ali

London, England...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip from London to Lahore

The situation now is much better then it was in December 2011, so this is the best time of the year to travel by road to Pakistan. Anyone wish to travel and join the adventure get in touch on 07957 338905.

Reply to: Road Trip from London to Lahore
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted