We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Mongolia

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Mongolia

Hi All My friend and I intend to travel to Mongolia. We have travelled independently and are well travelled, but I would like advice on 2 matters please

1. Will 3 weeks be to long,as at this stage we have only chosen our date of arrival and Ulaanbaatar

2. Can this be done independently without booking tours

Thanking you for you time

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Mongolia

Ulaanbaatar is very easy city to do on your own. However, you can do most of it in 1 - 2 days. The best sights in Ulaanbaatar need a driver as they are out of the city (i.e. the stainless steel chinggis khan monument and the soviet memorial).

What you do depends on what you enjoy. Are you keen to get out into the wilderness, ride horses and camp? Are you prepared to rough it or do you want some comforts? Are you vegetarian?

I spent 3 weeks riding and camping in the Altai with Zavkhan trekking (google them) last year and would recommend their trips whole heartedly.

2. Re: First Time to Mongolia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2012, 21:46
Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
108 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Mongolia

Sainuu!

Mongolia is the size of Western Europe and has an incredible amount of diverse wild landscapes. Very simply - grasslands in the east, Gobi Desert in the south, snow capped mountains in the west and alpine lakes in the north.

As a result, it is very easy to spend three weeks travelling in Mongolia. It all comes down to what you want to get out of the experience and how much time you give yourself outside of Ulaan Baatar. Unless you do not enjoy the wilderness....

It certainly is possible to travel on your own using public transport - I and many others have done this. You will need to be flexible and patient and it can be challenging (such as the 60 hours it can take you to get to the west).

I suggest reading aound the subject and start to think about the areas of Mongolia you would like to visit. For example, it is possible to travel to Murun (the capital town of Khovsgol Province in the north). From there you can transfer to the small town of Khatgal at the southern edge of Lake Khovsgol where there are many small tour operators who can organise an extended trek / horse trek for you.

The same applies to Dalanzagad in the Gobi (travel to Dalanzagad in Omnogovi Province and from there use one of the local operators to organise a tour in the Gobi). Or, the far west such as Bayan Olgii - travel from UB by public bus to either Khovd or Bayan Olgii and again organise a tour through a local operator.

However, if you were thinking of doing the 'loop' - Gobi, Central and North, then you may need to think about taking a tour.

This link has great information about travelling independently through Mongolia: http://tomongolia.blogspot.com/.

Mongolia is a fascinating, welcoming and spectacular country. As a tour operator myself, all I ask is that you travel as responsibly as possible - helping to protect Mongolia's natural environment and unique nomadic culture.

Have a great trip. Sain Yavaarai - Journey Well

Jess

www.eternal-landscapes.co.uk

4. Re: First Time to Mongolia

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2013, 16:20
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
6 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to Mongolia

You can probably spend 2-3 days in UB, food is great and diverse. But if you want to explore Mongolia you have to be ready to travel a lot.

Depending on your budget, it is easy to do this by internal flights, by renting a car (and maybe driver) or by pre-arranged trips. The only way to decide is to choose a few things you would like to see/do, ask some travel agencies, check the prices and see if they fit within your budget. If it does and you want to avoid the hazzle, take the offer. If not and if you are flexible enough, book a hotel for the first 2-3 nights in UB and plan the trip there (most bigger hotels will have their own offers or can recommend you how/where to go and make arrangements for you) - this can save at least 20-25% of the price offered by a travel agency. It also depends on the period: July tends to be quite busy (due to the Nadaam festivities) so there will be plenty of turists and some camps/parks can get full. May/June is a nice period to visit and so is August/September. If you go in winter (November - March), be prepared for cold temperatures - this time it is not really advisable to make big trips on your own (more than 200-250km) unless you really know your ways.

Hope it helps.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to Mongolia

Thank you to Trip Advisor, and thank you so much to all of your comments which is very helpful in my planning so keep up the fantastic advice

2only

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
925 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to Mongolia

georgiamorris...: The best sights in Ulaanbaatar need a driver as they are out of the city (i.e. the stainless steel chinggis khan monument and the soviet memorial).

Well, the Soviet Memorial can be accessed via public transit. It's not that bad to get to.

8. Re: First Time to Mongolia

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

Removed on: 19 June 2012, 00:47
Gloucester
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time to Mongolia

Are there any backpackers hostels or other budget accomodation in Ulaanbaatar?

Gloucester
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time to Mongolia

Are there any backpackers hostels or other budget accomodation in Ulaanbaatar?