We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommended trekking in Mongolia..for a veggie! late aug/sep

world
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
recommended trekking in Mongolia..for a veggie! late aug/sep

Hello! I am planning to spend around 3 weeks in mongolia from end of august to some point in september and am really keen to find out about good trekking operators that dont cost ridiculous money. I want to get out into the wild spaces (hence mongolia) and not do an obvious tourist thing. Am happy to go to local trek guides and arrange when i get there which is what i usually do, but would really appreciate info and recommendations.

would love to do a decent lenght trek- 10-14 days, preferbaly on foot or maybe with a camel! mountains are calling me...

thanks for reading, look forward to hearing from folk.

1. Re: recommended trekking in Mongolia..for a veggie! late aug/sep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 20:22
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommended trekking in Mongolia..for a veggie! late aug/sep

I went with Zavkhan trekking and they were great.

We had a vegetarian with our group and he got by fine.

http://www.zavkhan.co.uk/

Highly recommend them.

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
117 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommended trekking in Mongolia..for a veggie! late aug/sep

Sainuu!

Late August into September is a glorious time of year for trekking in Mongolia. The nights can be a little cool, sometimes cold, but the days are often dominated by the blue sky.

Mongolia is the size of Western Europe with incredibly diverse landscapes. Start researching the area you would like to trek in. You mention mountains - a few ideas:

a) Western Mongolia - you could trek in the TavanBogd National Park in Bayan Olgii Aimag - home to the highest mountain in Mongolia, Mount Khuiten. Or Uvs Aimag and the Kharkhira trek.

b) Khovsgol Nuur National Park is stunning - a majority of the interior mountains of the Khoridol Saridag Range are over 3000m. You can trek the western shore of the lake, up into the mountains and on to the Darhad Depression.

c) The Khangai Mountains dominate central Mongolia and include the most sacred mountain in Mongolia - Otgon Tenger. Within this mountain range you will find Khuisiin Naiman Nuur (Eight Lakes) - although this is a shorter five day trek.

d) You mention a camel trek. Well that would have to be the awe-inspiring Gobi Desert including the Gobi Gurvan Saikhan National Park and Khongoryn Els - the largest sand dunes in Mongolia. You could combine a camel trek in this region with a foot trek through Khuisiin Naiman Nuur.

Being vegetarian in Mongolia is not a problem at all (but it will depend on the company you finally decide to travel with as to how well you are provided for).

Mongolia is a spectacular, fascinating and welcoming country. You will have a great trip. Go find those mountains!

Sain Yavaarai - Journey Well

Jess

www.eternal-landscapes.co.uk

Ulaanbaatar...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: recommended trekking in Mongolia..for a veggie! late aug/sep

hello,

I am from nomad family. the area, where is my parents home, is one of the beautiful areas in Mongolia. Naiman Nuur . to reach there, no possible to use a car, instead of it, you can go there only by horse, camel or yak.

would you like spend your trip there, contact me please.

incoming@khangaitours.com

5. Re: recommended trekking in Mongolia..for a veggie! late aug/sep

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2012, 21:46
6. Re: recommended trekking in Mongolia..for a veggie! late aug/sep

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 26 February 2013, 15:46