We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want your PC's to arrive before you return? Now they will.

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Want your PC's to arrive before you return? Now they will.

We used to get fed up with our post cards arriving 4 weeks after we got home from the Maldives (or anywhere else for that matter)and several years ago came up with the idea of always taking English stamps away with us. We then ask some kind person who is returning home before we are if they wouldn't mind popping our cards in the post box when they get back to the UK. It's so nice to know that people have already got got their cards while we are still there.

So I was wondering ... how about us all getting together and starting a new service? It could be called PAT in honour of that famous postman (!) but would stand for "Post and Take". All anyone needs to do is to ask if you can put up a small cardboard PAT box in reception or outside your room. Everyone can them deposit their cards there and hopefully would be decent enough to take some with them on departure day.

Who's up for it? Tell us which island you are going to and you could be the first one to get things started.

Call me mad if you like but it's so simple and simple ideas work best.

Wid

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want your PC's to arrive before you return? Now they will.

This is a great idea, we gave up on the postcards as most usually got lost in the system and never made it. I am happy to give it a try.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want your PC's to arrive before you return? Now they will.

Snap! Great idea Wid!

Off to Vila this Sunday, doubt anyone could post mine for me unless they read this while they are out there but if I can post for anyone when I get back on the 30th of May then feel free to PM me :)

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want your PC's to arrive before you return? Now they will.

Jody

You could still take your stamps and ask someone to do it for you. We have only ever had one refusal - from a really snotty indignant specimen who looked at me snearingly as if I was a terrorist or something, but that was in the Canaries. Entirely different! We Maldives addicts are all such nice people.

Wid

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,442 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want your PC's to arrive before you return? Now they will.

I'd do it!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want your PC's to arrive before you return? Now they will.

me too. but wont be going again for a while, probably will need to keep bumping this thread?? we gave up sending cards from Maldives because of above reason

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want your PC's to arrive before you return? Now they will.

Nice idea and I’ve heard that tip before.

Why on earth would someone say no!?………………then again you do meet them. Like the people who think its ok to stand and chat in the exit seats area you have paid for.

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want your PC's to arrive before you return? Now they will.

It could be me you heard it from - I've often mentioned it on this forum and also in my reviews.

BTW if anyone can think of any brain wave of a business idea about how I could make money out of this, go global and give up the day job I'd happily do an Alan Sugar and go 50% with you!

Ah well I can always dream.

Wid

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want your PC's to arrive before you return? Now they will.

that is a cracking idea , it is similar to the one run on old whaling island in the Galapagos , where people(olden days it was whalers) leave postcards in a an old barrel,the next boat in , takes them , reads them LOL and then takes away those for their countries.

We did it for people in countries we have been to and the dive school in Kenya when they were sending certifications away(postal service there had a nice little earner, re using the stamps).

However I would suggest do it for postcards only , as you don't know what is in a sealed envelope unless you have seen the person seal it in front of you.

Sg

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want your PC's to arrive before you return? Now they will.

Doh, and there was I thinking I was so clever thinking of it first :-)

If you share a table with someone you don't like on Fiha, make sure you don't make any rude comments in your PC's about your table companions just in case they take yours!

Wid

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Want your PC's to arrive before you return? Now they will.

it's a nice idea but isn't the point of receiving a postcard to look at the stamp from the country of origin and the postmark????????(even if it takes a while to arrive!!)

maldivian postal service cannot be much worse than royal mail............

we even send postcards to ourselves at home writing

"remember this ?

whens our next trip?"

Edited: 10 May 2011, 13:39