We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best island for 2 adults and two 17 year olds

Exeter
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best island for 2 adults and two 17 year olds

I went to the Maldives back in 1998 when I stayed at Kuredu which was fantastic. I'd love to go back with my girlfriend and her daughter+boyfriend. The only problem is that my visit to Kuredu was on honeymoon with my ex-wife so I think you'll understand why I cant go back there!

So the question is which island would be best for our demographic. I would rather avoid islands that allow young children. Nothing against them but I'd rather not run the risk of the holiday being spoilt by unruly/noisy kids.

Also the girlfriend loves history/culture so perhaps an island wich isn't too far from one of the inhabited islands for a sight-seeing trip.

I am looking to go over the Easter break 2010 - unfortunately both the 17 year olds are at college and the girlfriend works in a school :-/

Also any help with which operator to book with would be great. My last trip was with Hayes & Jarvis who were great and their website does seem to have some good deals - given that my trip to Kuredu 11 years ago cost me around £1200 pp H&J are quoting £2000 pp now (Kuredu has undergone a pretty major upgrade since '98). Seems pretty reasonable to me and other islands seem to be a similar cost - pro-rata for star level.

Anyway. enough rambling!

Advice, comments, thoughts please

ta very much

Mentioned in this post
Kuredu Island Resort & Spa
Kuredu Island Resort...
8,485 Reviews
Kuredu
2-Hour Maldives Submarine Tour From...
30 Reviews
from US$ 85.00*
Free Cancellation
Snorkeling Safari
6 Reviews
from US$ 90.00*
Free Cancellation
Island Day Trip from Hulhumale
4 Reviews
from US$ 145.00*
Free Cancellation
London
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best island for 2 adults and two 17 year olds

The big question is 'what do you (you and the 17 year olds) like and like to do? Do you like more stuff to do with the trade off of a larger island or do you prefer a smaller, more intimate island?

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Exeter
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best island for 2 adults and two 17 year olds

hi Bruce,

personally I would be happy just kicking back for ten days but I know that would drive the OH crazy! Like I said she likes to delve into the history/culture of the places we visit so a resort not too far from habitation would probably be best. As for the teenagers, as long as they can gaze into each others eyes for hours on end they should be happy - ah, young love... Seriously though they would probably go crazy on one of the small islands with no distractions so some sort of entertainment schedule aimed at the adult end of the guests would be good

Exeter
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best island for 2 adults and two 17 year olds

p.s. thanks for the link - great site, very useful

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best island for 2 adults and two 17 year olds

The island for you would / could be Sun island big , with plenty to do for both age groups, the only history in the Maldives is on Male the capital, but this can be done in half a day, so in reality to stay on an island just to visit. Male IMO is not worth it, Sun has the sport size entertainment things to do, not the best snorkeling but good enough for a first time visit, pool for those that want it and on the beach, with day activities, great food and trips.

Rumpole

Mentioned in this post
Sun Island Resort and Spa
3,189 Reviews
Nalaguraidhoo Island
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best island for 2 adults and two 17 year olds

I would agree with Rumps on Sun Island plenty of space and activity for all.

If you do want to see local island life, they do trips but as rumps says Male is only worth a couple of hours of time and if you are at sun island its to far for a day trip.

http://www.villahotels.com/resorts/sun.html

Mentioned in this post
3,189 Reviews
Nalaguraidhoo Island
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
UK
Level Contributor
630 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best island for 2 adults and two 17 year olds

I would recommend Bandos for the following reasons:

Only 25 mins speedboat to Male for cultural visits

Larger island with great snorkelling and good dive centre

Some water sports/ gym and squash and badminton courts

Big pool and small quiet pool by the gym (with great loungers)

Also even the basic rooms are fab.

The only downside that might concern you is that it does allow families including smaller children and at Easter you may consider that a problem (although we went in July and never found any problem with the few kids that were there).

We went with our teenagers and had a blast. Absolute tranquility when we wanted it, but we could always find someone to talk to and something to do when necessary. The teens just did their own thing / hung out at the pool or beach or bar wherever they could find similar aged people.

We have also been to Kuredu (this year) and were not as keen. Bandos suited us far better and the snorkelling there is far superior to Kuredu.

I guess the trade-off is the kids.

Mentioned in this post
Bandos
Bandos
North Male Atoll
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Kuredu Island Resort...
8,485 Reviews
Kuredu
London
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best island for 2 adults and two 17 year olds

You know what you might consider is one of these Sri Lanka/Maldive combo trips. I never could understand why anyone would want to spend any time in Sri Lanka when you had the glorious Maldives nearby. But, talking to people who have done it, they mostly see a lot of striking 'history/culture' - eg. temples, elephant rides. Maybe the family would like a 'starter' course of some Sri Lanka fun and then settle into the 'main' for a sumptuous entree of relaxation and 'kicking back'.

We also liked Kuramathi as a good sized island with lots to do and extremely good value for money.

Rumpole is right that Male is about a half day excursion at best and I'm not sure that I would hinge my Maldive trip on proximity to Male. Most resorts, no matter where they are, feature a trip to a local Maldivian residential island where there is also a great glimpse into a very unique culture centered on building a life around the ocean.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,301 Reviews
Kuramathi
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best island for 2 adults and two 17 year olds

Bruce beat me to it....was going to suggest Kuramathi. If you've been to Kuredu and liked it, then Kuramathi is similar in that it is a large island. It has decent beaches, has just been refurbished, and has several choices of restaurants.

You can go on trips to local islands - we went to Rashdoo island when we stayed at nearby Veligandu a few years ago. There is also decent snorkelling and diving. You could also maybe look at Reehi Beach, which I can personally recommend having stayed there in July.

Regards

Ian

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,301 Reviews
Kuramathi
Kuredu Island Resort...
8,485 Reviews
Kuredu
Veligandu Island Resort & Spa
Veligandu Island Resort...
3,035 Reviews
Veligandu
9. Re: best island for 2 adults and two 17 year olds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2010, 09:49