We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best food in Maldives?

Montreal
7 posts
Best food in Maldives?

Would like to know your opinions on the resorts/islands with the best food in Maldives. Best quality or Best value. To me the food can make or break a fabulous vacation. Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
414 posts
54 reviews
11. Re: Best food in Maldives?

I don't know where Bruce got the salt sommelier idea from. We spent 10 days on Naladhu and ate at almost all of the restaurants on the 3 Anantara properties. Some were better than others (Ban Hura the Thai restaurant was great as was the Living Room on Naladhu) and all the restaurants were casual and unpretentious. I never heard of a salt sommelier (for that matter I didn't hear of a regular sommelier they just had a wine list).

London
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
78 reviews
12. Re: Best food in Maldives?

Supposedly the 'salt sommelier' is at the 'Fuddan Restuarant' and his name is 'Nasrulla' who will "will guide you around 11 types, including Cyprus black lava flake, Bali coconut and lime-smoked sea salt."

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
414 posts
54 reviews
13. Re: Best food in Maldives?

That's weird, we ate at Fuddan (quite a nice meal but nothing special) & there was nothing like that. I'm glad to say no one tried to "guide me around" types of salt.

Folkestone, United...
Level Contributor
2,886 posts
10 reviews
14. Re: Best food in Maldives?

Hi Spindacut

The whole trouble with type of question is not only is it subjective but can also be wildly out of date as in many restaurants in the UK if they lose their chef as happens frequently in the Maldives (and here) the whole thing goes to pot. Some of the best food we've had was Soneva Fushi in the organic restaurant and Kandoludo where there was a set menu with 3 choices of starters main and sweet super selection and not repeated once in 14 days.Not only in food resorts do go through good and bad times depending on the staff. Soneva, Beach House and many others have pillow menus personally I find them a bit dry and difficult to eat a whole one!

Regards

Doug

Montreal
7 posts
15. Re: Best food in Maldives?

Well almost all your answers I have appreciated. I wasn't looking for 'THE' best island for food per say, but more so everyone's experiences so far. It's obviously subjective, but I do like to hear opinions as people have been posting. I'm sure there are some islands that are always a good pick, and I am sure there are others that we should all steer clear of. No answer is right or wrong, I have just never been to the Maldives, but when I do fully book my vacation I hope the island does not disappoint in terms of the basic food quality. I have this fear of being stuck on an island being fed the same cafeteria'ish food everyday without any alternative. I'm the type of person who always remembers what I ate on vacations. Anyway I hope you all understand. Thanks for your insight.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
16. Re: Best food in Maldives?

Spindacut,

I can honestly say of all the islands I have been to and it has been a mix all have been far far superior than cafateria type food even the worst has been better than that, the Maldives does tend to give a high standard, for a better choice and variation the bigger islands do have extra restaurants outside the AI system, Meeru was great in the Asian Wok, and the food on Sun island was fantastic even on the AI. In saying that, Helengeli was the worst, but still beter than cafeteria style.

Rumpole

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,304 posts
6 reviews
17. Re: Best food in Maldives?

Hi Spindacut

Agree with Rumps in that we have never felt that the food was cafeteria-ish. It really depends upon what type of resort you choose. If you select an AI island with only one restaurant for example, the food can sometimes tend to be a bit repetitious after 2 weeks, even if the actual theme night isn't repeated.

Our last stay was at a low-mid budget island (Reethi Beach), which has had some quite critical reviews regarding the food. For whatever reason, we simply didn't experience the same poor standard. Every day, salad was as fresh if not fresher than I can purchase from my local supermarket...I don't know how they do it! There was also a selection of other restaurants, where we enjoyed some fabulous meals.

If you are looking for a more varied food experience, it may be best to look for an island with more than one restaurant.

regards

Ian

18. Re: Best food in Maldives?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2010, 09:46