We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best food in Maldives?

Montreal
7 posts
Save Topic
Best food in Maldives?

Would like to know your opinions on the resorts/islands with the best food in Maldives. Best quality or Best value. To me the food can make or break a fabulous vacation. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Sea Fire Salt
₹₹₹₹, Seafood, Mediterranean, European
Just Veg by Atmosphere
₹₹₹₹, Indian, Asian
Origami Japanese Restaurant
₹₹₹₹, Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Montreal
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best food in Maldives?

Let's make this the main thread. Variety/quality/service all important. Also we could rate resort's with AI, since most of them are buffet style.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,123 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best food in Maldives?

this couldn't be more subjective ... to me .. best food by all criteria is mirihi . best value athuruga. best presentation the ithaa restaurant at conrad - but not best or even great food.

Montreal
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best food in Maldives?

Thanks spammie, that's actually the kind of answer I was looking for. Just curious what people's opinions are d^.^b

London
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best food in Maldives?

I agree that this question is far too general. You get to a point where food is really outstanding and you can't get any better no matter how much you invest in trying to make it better. It reminds me of a point that Bill Gates used to make about what it was like to be a billionaire. He responded that up to a certain point it did add more and more comforts, conveniences and special experiences, but after a certain point the extra money was inconsequential...you couldn't eat any better, you couldn't sleep any better, you couldn't be entertained any better.

Another side of the question being broad is variability. I have had an outstanding dish on a resort only to be disappointed by something else I tried. Then, as Spammie says, it is soooo subjective. I mean how different can a nicely grilled piece of reef fish caught hours ago (a basic staple of the resort menus) be from one place to another?

I think it is easier when one gets very, very specific on these 'best of' questions. For example, the best 'seasonings' has to be at Anantara where they have their own 'salt somelier'. The best curry is allegedly at Taj Exotica. I had the best Black Bean Chinese Beef I have ever eaten recently at Kurumba. Kurumba also had world class gazpacho I had almost every day. I had the best prawn cocktail I have ever had in my life at the Holiday Innn Male. We loved the Coco Palm Dhuni Kholu's mango chicken salad that we tried to figure out the recipe so we could reproduce it at home. And so on.

So I guess it depends on what specific food or even food style you like. Some resorts don't have the range or diversity of offerings. Therefore, they might have amazingly delicious food, but limited to very specific dishes that you might or might not fancy.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Mentioned in this post
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
1,439 Reviews
Emboodhu Finolhu
Kurumba Maldives
Kurumba Maldives
4,027 Reviews
Vihamanafushi
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best food in Maldives?

The best food we have come across at an All inclusive resort (Buffet style) was at Filitheyo. A very varied choice of international dishes eg: Shawarma, Sushi, Dolmades and Laksa soup being some of my favourites. They also had several live cooking stations which prepared a lot of the dishes from scratch. They had something different going on everyday.

I think the secret with buffet food is not just to put a little bit of everything on your plate(which is tempting) but to go for a theme and that way you won't get bored after 2 weeks.

The best a la carte we have encountered was at the Shrangi La Villingili resort. The food was of exceptional quality and freshness with excellent choice and presentation. We especially loved the beef tenderloin on bed of rocket for lunch and all the local fish dishes and choices of steaks in the evening. The resort has many eating options for all tastes including China sea, Indian Ocean and Middle Eastern..

All this food talk is making me hungry.

Turquoise 23

Mentioned in this post
Villingili
Villingili
Addu Atoll
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best food in Maldives?

'salt somelier' Give me strength. :-)

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best food in Maldives?

Nakatcha,

As you come out from the sea / swim , the Salt sommelier licks all the salt away from every nook and crannie..

Lol lol.

Rumps

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best food in Maldives?

:-)) Wouldn't surprise me - isn't that sad?

(PS I don't think I'd like salty wine and a sommelier is a wine expert/adviser or to put it a less pretentious way, "wine waiter". Do they perhaps have a "pillow sommelier" as well?)

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best food in Maldives?

Isn't it Kanuhura who have a pillow menu? Maybe they have a special waiter to serve them as well :-)

I think they may be a bit dry and chewy for my taste...

Mentioned in this post
Kanuhura
Kanuhura
Lhaviyani Atoll
Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best food in Maldives?

Pillows are a dish best served cold,

This is nearly as bad as the post the other day, asking,