We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very dumb questions,but essential to me!

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
48 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Very dumb questions,but essential to me!

So we booked,and it's Velidhu.Nice price,great snorkeling.

Now I haven't slept well for 2 days,REALLY!!!!!!

And When awake,I m surfing the net asking the following "dumb" questions: Do baby sharks bite?I am not talking about the very tiny ones in the very shallow waters,but more of the slightly bigger ones when in deeper waters snorkeling

I believe that if he decides I am not his dish of the day,my heart will anyway do the job and stop beating once I see him!

Daaaaamn...pls I loveeeeeee snorkeling....

Any reassurance anyone?

I saw barracuda last year in the Caribbean ,I acted ridiculously ...

Thank you

2-Hour Maldives Submarine Tour From...
30 Reviews
from US$ 85.00*
Free Cancellation
Snorkeling Safari
6 Reviews
from US$ 90.00*
Free Cancellation
Island Day Trip from Hulhumale
4 Reviews
from US$ 145.00*
Free Cancellation
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very dumb questions,but essential to me!

Hi

It's not a dumb question at all. The sharks will leave you alone - they will be much more nervous of you than you will be of them.

OD

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
48 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very dumb questions,but essential to me!

Even if it's a tiger shark!or a hammerhead?Or do they not come close the the reefs?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very dumb questions,but essential to me!

I'm no expert but I think they are more deep water fish.

OD

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
48 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very dumb questions,but essential to me!

Let;s hope so...tx 8-)

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,116 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very dumb questions,but essential to me!

you are VERY unlikely to see tigers or hammerhead when snorkeling.

i have seen exactly one tiger in the maldives and went out of my way to dive with hammerheads a couple times - considered myself extremely lucky.

neither will harm you, even if you were to stumble upon one .

when snorkeling, you are most likely to see little blacktips and sleepy nurse sharks . again - neither will hurt you.

the golden rule when snorkeling is to touch absolutely nothing , with no part of your body ..and of course don't stand on coral, etc either .. as long as you follow that rule, you are perfectly safe.

London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very dumb questions,but essential to me!

You really do not need to worry. The sharks are more scared of you and just keep away from you.

We have just returned from our second trip to the Maldives, and my husband saw quite a large shark and the shark just turned and swam the other way.

You just need to make sure that you are respectful of the fish and their habitat. The only fish that you need to keep an eye out for are titan trigger fish. They are very territorial, so if you see one, just swim the other way.

Don't worry about a thing. You will soon become mesmerised by all the wonderful fish. Have a fabulous time.

Clare

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
48 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very dumb questions,but essential to me!

PHEWWWWWWWWWWW.....no seriously,you just took a weight off my just there!!!!

I am very respectful when in the water,to fish and to corals etc...I love nature...

But may I ask a question,those small black tip shark....aren't they curious?

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
48 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very dumb questions,but essential to me!

Clarehelen....I NEVER KNEW THIS about the triggerfish....I just googled it to get a good idea of what they look like...and on youtube you can c them biting whomever annoys them!lol

That's a precious advice ,cuz really,he looks so pretty and harmless,i would not have swam away!

Thank you

But may I please ask,was your husband diving or snorkeling when he saw that large shark ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very dumb questions,but essential to me!

Don't worry about the titan triggerfish. If you leave them alone, then they will leave you alone. They normally only attack people during their nesting season, which is April, and only when intimidated. We saw lots whilst snorkelling on the reef, and just turned and swam the other way. Nothing to worry about at all, but I always think it is good to be aware of these things.

With regards to the shark, it was whilst we were snorkelling, but they really are not interested in us. Don’t worry about a thing. You will have a fantastic time.

Clare

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very dumb questions,but essential to me!

Hi

The little black tipped reef sharks that you see in the lagoons will simply swim away from you.. Even if you stand in the shallows right in front of them they will just go around.

So don't worry about the sharks - big or small - just have a great time.

OD