We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trip to equator from OK

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Boat trip to equator from OK

Hi,

A query from my son: can one do a boat trip to the equator from Konotta? He's doing geography for A level and is absolutely fascinated by the idea of being able to say he was close to the equator and was able to 'cross' it by boat. Tx

24 replies to this topic
Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Boat trip to equator from OK

The Maldives is 221.17 mi (355.94 km) north of the equator so I doubt it

Stavanger
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Boat trip to equator from OK

OK (Outrigger Konotta) is only about 30 miles north of the equator I believe. I'm sure I've read somewhere about an equator excursion they offer.

If no-one else comes along to confirm this then I can find out for you next week, as we arrive next Monday. Happy to answer/find out anything else you might be interested to know 😊

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3. Re: Boat trip to equator from OK

Hi, NorwayNat, Yes, that's what I thought on mileage. I have looked at the OK website and no such trip is mentioned.

I'm sure you have other things you'll want to focus on during your holiday. If it pops into your head, it would be great to know if they do it. It's mostly indulging a teenager's whim, as it might be fun for him to be able to say he's crossed the equator. If it is ludicrously expensive to do it he'll just have to dream.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Boat trip to equator from OK

Stepsahead, The Maldives as a country is spread over a large area of the Indian Ocean and there are many resorts in the far South, close to the Equator.

Migscent, we were at OK in June and read about a boat trip across the Equator before we travelled but didn't see any information on it at the resort (and didn't ask!).

The resort is run with a very "can do" approach and I'm sure that Norway Nat's villa host will be happy to provide her with any information you may need when she arrives next week.

Wow, final countdown underway Norway Nat. So exciting!!!

Hertfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Boat trip to equator from OK

<<The Maldives is 221.17 mi (355.94 km) north of the equator so I doubt it>>

Parts of the Maldives (Addu Atoll) are located south of the equator, and the the atoll in which OK is located is the closest atoll which lies north of the equator (by around 20km).

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
322 reviews
6. Re: Boat trip to equator from OK

Bruce wrote on this subject. I guess Konotta will run the trip on request:

…maldivescomplete.com/2017/…

It may be expensive, and there won’t be anything to see (except water) but the boat ride might be nice.

Edited: 12 November 2018, 18:31
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
7. Re: Boat trip to equator from OK

oh, lord, lynphd, you shouldn't have shown me that link. a certificate for swimming over the equator. he would totally love that (could frame it and put it up in room at uni). made me laugh.

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: Boat trip to equator from OK

I am going to Equator Village in January which, as the name suggests, is near the equator in Addu Atoll and I understand that when we get there from Male we will get a certificate confirming that we have crossed it.

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: Boat trip to equator from OK

My bad ... thanks for correcting me

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Boat trip to equator from OK

This is the sort of thing that floats my boat too (pun intended). When we went to Australia many years ago I asked if the captain would make an announcement when we crossed the equator. My husband and I ended up being invited to join the captain in the cockpit of our Jumbo jet when we did so. We saw the readings all count down to 0000 at the very moment. Your son would have loved it but no way wold it be allowed nowadays.

I would give my eye teeth to swim over it too!

Reply to: Boat trip to equator from OK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted