We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adult only. But needs good dive operation

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
508 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Adult only. But needs good dive operation

We are trying to decide on our second trip to Maldives. Last time we did a 10 day liveaboard which was great but we feel like we would like a resort this time. Adults only if possible. I am concerned that the resorts wont have a good dive operator, that they will just cater for beginners. My husband is a divemaster level so its very important. We want a 5 star resort. Open to either sea plane or speed boat (which I would def prefer).

Thanks in advance.

13 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adult only. But needs good dive operation

I think the better diving is in South Ari and can’t think of an adults only resort there. Mirihi could suit. Whilst not adults only it is mainly overwater villas and has no kids club or pool which reduces families. It dive school is better for experienced divers than the other islands we’ve been too.

Also going out of school holidays helps.

I’ve never been to adults only resorts so can’t comment personally on dive school quality. There a list of them in the FAQs on the right hand side of your using a computer.

Mentioned in this post
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
1,072 Reviews
Mirihi
Sherwood Forest
Level Contributor
240 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adult only. But needs good dive operation

Hi scarke

You could check out Baros, it doesn't allow children under 8 and is only 30 mins from the Airport by their own boat. We have been twice and as a 5* Resort it has good food, friendly staff, and a House reef you can Dive / Snorkel from the beach or take their Dive boat out to dive sites.

Not being a diver I can't vouch for the quality of their Dive / Marine Centre but they have information on their website relating to their Diving Activities at http://www.baros.com/downloads

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adult only. But needs good dive operation

I'd second both of the above with better diving at Mirihi but don't go in August as i'll be there with my child (13 yrs).

Good diving very much depends on where you are located at what time so if you can share that info further recommendations may be forthcoming.

Mentioned in this post
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
1,072 Reviews
Mirihi
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
508 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adult only. But needs good dive operation

We are aiming to go in late January or early February 2019. Will be celebrating a special occasion so budget not a problem.

Thanks

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adult only. But needs good dive operation

Mirihi for Manta and opponfornwahle sharks will be very good

Mentioned in this post
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
1,072 Reviews
Mirihi
london
Level Contributor
340 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adult only. But needs good dive operation

Hi for serious diving check out Oblu Helengeli (North Male Atoll) it’s very highly rated for accesable dive sites some of which are challenging even for extremely experienced divers. When I was there it was full of divers that had stopped using log books because they had thousands of dives even they were saying how challenging some of the drift dives were

Mentioned in this post
OBLU by Atmosphere at Helengeli
OBLU by Atmosphere at...
879 Reviews
Helengeli Island
Helengeli Island
Helengeli Island
North Male Atoll
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adult only. But needs good dive operation

I would think that both Gili and Huvafen (AO) have great operations but I would be surprised if there were any really great dive sites in the Male Atolls. South Ari is the place to be as far as I know.

Most people I know who have dived in the Male atolls have been disappointed. You see more on a house reef. There is a cleaning station near Gili that is too deep to snorkel you need to dive there.

Would be interested to hear about the sites in North male atoll

Mentioned in this post
Gili Lankanfushi
Gili Lankanfushi
2,009 Reviews
Lankanfushi
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adult only. But needs good dive operation

I suspect if the OP previously did a liveaboard departing from Male they did the reasonable sites in the Male Atolls. I don't have my logbook with me so cannot recall the names but agree, the diving generally got better the further away from Male you went.

I recall the cleaning station AussieAnge mentions. It was a fun little dive. Some huge morays as well as mantas of course. I'd do it again but found it quite cloudy.

For serious divers I agree it needs to be South Ari. I am not a super confident diver so cannot comment on dive shops from the perspective the OP is looking for. However the Maldives has plenty of experienced divers visiting and I've always been led to believe that the operators will divide you into groups/sites based on capabilities and how independently you want to dive.

I know spammie has a lot of dives and loves Mirihi. I am expecting we will also love Mirihi on our trip. Mirihi is not adults only but I understand not too many children visit.

Drift Thelu is no children from (I think 2 or 3 - 10). It is only 4 stars though. We considered this resort but got a great deal elsewhere. I do love the décor at Drift and they market themselves as catering to divers but I never did a great deal of research into the dive centre there.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 06:56
Mentioned in this post
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
1,072 Reviews
Mirihi
London, United...
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adult only. But needs good dive operation

My concern with drift is the reports on the poor quality of the house Reef, and I can’t find much footage of the reef online to verify that one way or another. Did much come up in your research?

The dive school in mirihi is the only one in the Maldives we’ve been to that doesn’t limit the length of your dive, you just dive to 50 bar (the others were limited to 60mins, or at Konotta 50mins!!). The house Reef also has a nice little wreck which makes it more interesting than a few others. In high season it’s the right side for mantas too. And it really is a picture perfect island. It’s the photos from mirihi we have on the walls at home.

Gosh I’m selling it to myself... think I may have to go back next year... I confess, I have a Maldives problem...

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adult only. But needs good dive operation

I do recall my research suggesting the house reef was not as good at Drift but I guess I read into the OPs post that they would be more interested in boat trips rather than easy little house reef dives. Perhaps the incorrect inference!

Reply to: Adult only. But needs good dive operation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;