We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penang or Langkawi

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Penang or Langkawi

I'm looking to go to lLangkawi with my family but was wondering if Penang would be better? I love beautiful beaches, lovely scenery and a bit of wildlife and not too built up which is why I thought Langkawi would be a good choice. However I've recently read that Penang would be a better choice. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,449 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penang or Langkawi

How long are you going for, and what sort of wildlife are you after? Both Penang and Langkawi have monkeys, birds, monitor lizards, geckos and bugs. Sometimes the odd snake too. On Penang you might see a bit more wildlife in the National Park at Teluk Bahang.

Penang doesn't really have beautiful beaches, but there again many of Langkawi's beaches have become busy and overdeveloped.

There is much more to do on Penang if you are going for any length of time, particularly if you're going at a rainy time of year. See mypenang.gov.my for ideas.

If you like the sea and messing around in boats Langkawi would be better.

At the end of the day it's your choice, but do you maybe have time to do both? It's a 25 minute flight between the two islands.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Teluk Bahang
Teluk Bahang
Penang Island, Malaysia
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Penang or Langkawi

Hi

I was planning on going from Singapore fir a 10 day stay and would love to experience a rainforest. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,672 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penang or Langkawi

If you are in Singapore, I would fly to Kota Kinabalu - beautiful beaches, lovely scenery and a bit of wildlife and not too built up!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu District, Malaysia
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Penang or Langkawi

Thanks for your reply. I have already been to Kota Kinabalu so wanted something different.

Mentioned in this post
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu District, Malaysia
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,449 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penang or Langkawi

If you want to be amongst the rainforest on Penang, have a look at somewhere like this www.malihom.com

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
6. Re: Penang or Langkawi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2016, 13:47