We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs and traditions

norfolk, england
Level Contributor
405 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Customs and traditions

We're travelling out for my daughter's wedding and will be meeting new family for the first time. Is there anything we need to know? Is it traditional to take gifts? If so what kind of thing should we take?

Thanks.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs and traditions

Hi Canarybird, we meet again, as I recalled you were asking "help" that your daughter is getting married in JB.

I would be pleased to help if you could refresh my memory:

Is your daughter's husband to be a Chinese?

You may have to ask your daughter how traditional or contemporary her parent-in-laws are.

Going back to your questions.."is it tradional to take gifts"

Will you be referring to taking gifts to give out or receiving gifts?

norfolk, england
Level Contributor
405 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs and traditions

Hello again,

Yes, my daughter's fiance is Chinese, with just his mother and a sister at home. I dont know about any extended family. I dont think they are particularly traditional.

I feel it would be courteous of us to take them a gift from England. My daughter will be staying in their home but we will stay in a hotel.

What kind of thing would be suitable? I think somethings from our region of England would be nice, to show where we are from and of our heritage.

Would that be appreciated? Thanks for your help :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs and traditions

Hi canary bird,

for the Chinese, a weeding is a very auspicious day..so first thing to bring is lots of laughter and a healthy appetite,as during this occassion there will be lots of food and drinks...and if your daughter's fiance family is holding a weeding dinner, be sure to hear the echo of "yam seng".

Coming back to your query in relation to gifts.

Firstly, let me mention what to avoid , then you are on the safer side.

Clocks (or any timepieces), pointed objects(even an innocent silver letter opener), cloths of black or dull colours, chipped chinaware, hankerchiefs, pictures of eerie, sad compositions.

Now, let's brainstorm on possible auspicious gifts- gold, for your daughter's mother in law, even a jade pendant will be most welcomed, for your soon-to be son-in-law a red packet of British pounds (ask your daughter to have these red packets handy for you-red packets are given out, besides Chinese New Year, also on auspicious occassions,like weeding, birth of a child.

For your daughter's sister in law--that's depends on her age-hey, you cannot go wrong with a tube of Whalebone Bakery biscuits (had that when I was in Norfolk) or those cloth shopping bags, depicting scenes of Norfolk. Or even tea cloths, of bright colours, like red.

Or even a town plate depicting Norwich town and buildings, which they will surely appreciate as a showpiece in a display cabinet.

they may have a tea ceremony, where your daughter and her fiance served you tea, and you and your hubby give out the red packets and give them your blessings and wish for many grandchildren for both of you.

Partake in this auspicious ceremony and do not be too anxious, have smiling gestures and be happy for the day.

Do not get too tipsy over the yam sengs. Cheerio then.

norfolk, england
Level Contributor
405 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs and traditions

Thats great advice, thankyou so much. Its pretty much what I had in mind but needed to be sure.

5. Re: Customs and traditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 08:46